Powerful Pembroke triumph

Pembroke 3Christ Church 1
Many might have considered the final of the men’s hockey cuppers competition as a foregone conclusion. Pembroke fielded four current or ex-Blues including this year’s Blues captain Thomas Bullock, Blues Vice Captain Robert Frampton and internationally capped Ed Bevan. Against this array of talent, Christ Church could only muster one Blue and one returning Blue. Pembroke were clearly full of confidence, reflected no less by the swarms of Pembroke supporters on the sidelines. Christ Church in contrast appeared quiet and composed as they focused on the challenge before them.
Christ Church were practically unchanged from the semi-final line up that had inched past Magdalen in sudden death penalty flicks and they came out playing controlled, skilful hockey. With unexpected composure they effectively denied Pembroke any sniff of the ball during the first 15 minutes while managing to press forward in numbers through Phillip Pond and Daniel Soloman. Pembroke’s back four, marshalled by two senior Blues (Brixley and Bevan), made numerous last second tackles to block Christ Church’s more promising chances.
The pressure led to a number of short corners which became nothing more than missed opportunities for Christ Church as the half progressed. After the initial pressure, Pembroke began to play themselves back into the game as their passing improved and just before halftime they won a short corner, which they were distinctly more effective in taking. A high and hard drag flick was saved by the Christ Church keeper, but a second corner led to a second flick which was driven low past the goalkeeper into the backboard. A second goal from Bullock left Christ Church trailing by two after a half in which they impressed, having dominated for the majority of it.
Pembroke came out quickly after the break, pressing the opposition into their own 25 and holding them there for the first few minutes before Christ Church could get possession. When they did regain the ball they retained it with all the composure they had shown in the first half, edged with a more urgent, attacking outlook on play. Philip Pond drew Christ Church within a single goal of Pembroke, but a third goal from Frampton sealed the game for the Pinks. A third dragflick, hard and high ,was fired past the Christ Church keeper and the game ended 3-1, a fair reflection of a game in which Christ Church failed to convert short corners into chances.
After the match the Oxford University Hockey Cuppers Trophy was awarded by Dr Jonathan Hunt (former Blue and Old Pembrokian) to the winning team, and the beer bottles were swept up until next year’s Varsity and Cupper’s hockey matches. • Worcester stormed to the College First Division title with 12 wins from their 13 league matches
ARCHIVE: 0th week TT 2005