Peter’s cruise past careless Catz

St Peter’s 30St Catherine’s 13"Back with the old" was the St Peter’s cry as they crushed St Catherine’s, the new kids on the block at the top of college rugby. Catz, on the back of a win over Cuppers holders St Edmund Hall, were looking for a follow-up win over the League holders which would have effectively made them the new champions. However, they were swept away by a fired-up St Peter’s side which displayed some scintillating handling and support play. Peter’s now face a title decider against Hall next week, while Catz are reduced to chasing a cricket score against exeter in the hope results elsewhere will go in their favour.The manner of victory will have warmed the heart of the Peter’s old guard. Catz were passionate, physical, and at times highly creative and imaginative in attack. early on, a classic looked on the cards as Catz made the most of their opportunities to take an early lead. However, as so often in the past, Peter’s oustanding fitness, desire and precision in attack put the game beyond their opponents; Peter’s scored three tries in the second half, turning a potential nail-biter into a more than comfortable victory.Peter’s showed they had their big game heads on early on, taking first blood with a try in the corner after only five minutes of the match. However, Catz have proven this season an early deficit does not rattle them. Fullback Tom reessoon had Catz on the scoreboard, a dazzling run from fly half by Henry Haslam forcing a penalty which he cooly converted from the touchline. With conditions perfect for running rugby, Peter’s looked to assert themselves on the game, the pack dominating posession, the defence squeezing Catz in midfield, and pivot rob Unwin finding numerous holes in the Catz defence. But Catz held firm, Timmy Carpenter and danny O’driscoll combining to prevent what seemed a certain try on the 20 minute mark. Then, almost against the run of play, they took the lead. a box kick from scrum half richard Godfrey pushed Peter’s onto the back foot; at the ensuing scrum, a huge Catz shove allowed tireless flanker James Menzies to charge down and score. Unwin converted a penalty with the last kick of the half, and sent Catz in 10-8 ahead of their rival. The second half began in Catz’s favour as Peter’s poor discipline allowed rees to put his side 13-8 ahead. at this point, Peter’s seemed to step up a gear, attacking relentlessly through some superb offloading in the tackle and support play. Though the Catz backline held out the barrage for some time, Peter’s eventually barrelled over under the posts, gaining a 15-13 lead with Unwin’s conversion. They soon had another, as the pack charged down the blindside, releasing their right winger down the touchline and under the post. another outstanding offload in attack assured Peter’s fourth try, and the lead was 27-13. Unwin then effectively ended the contest, kicking a penalty to put Catz needing three tries. Only some spirited objections to the somewhat overzealous St. Peter’s scrum half punctuated the remaining period before an inevitable win was confirmed. Peter’s were deserved winners, having displayed strength and control throughout the team. The Catz side, who played well in patches, will rue the unforced errors that plagued their game and preventing making a more persistent challenge.Catz Captain Fergus O’Sullivan, summed up their disappointment: "When so much was at stake we just couldn’t find our composure. It wasn’t for a lack of spirit – we just didn’t really find our rhythm today." For St Peter’s, the next game against St Hall represents the final hurdle to a perfect season. Victory there will seal a convincing defence of their division One title and one can only wait with baited breath to see if any team can muster the reserve to topple this side from their perch.  ARCHIVE: 4th week MT 2005