OxStu ‘slammed’ as Turl Street colleges hit back

The JCRs of Exeter, Lincoln and Je­sus have united in retaliation against an article printed last week in The Oxford Student entitled “What’s the point of… Turl Street Colleges”.JCR Presidents Ollie Munn (Lin­coln) Emily Pull and Simon Hacking (Jesus) hit out against the ar­ticle with the declaration: “Given the high standard of reporting and com­mentary that the story encapsulates, perhaps we should instead be asking ‘What’s the point of the OxStu?’”In a letter to the editor of The Ox­ford Student, the Presidents of the three colleges propose that “a fight to the death between the combined might of the Turl Street colleges and the occupants of OxStu Towers would arguably serve a greater social function, as well as, we’d like to think, providing a damn sight more enter­tainment.”The letter was inspired by controversial observations, includ­ing: “There are enough dull people in the world already. Turl Street doesn’t need to provide three colleges full of them.”Ollie Munn told Cherwell, “When the story appeared, reaction in Col­lege was divided. There were those in Lincoln who thought we should pick a fight and take on the Ox­Stu. And then there were those who thought we should just massacre the scoundrels, one by one.” He added, “Lincoln’s been at war with Brasenose since about 1549 – we know a thing or two about conflicts.”One of the article’s main criticisms was that “someone needs to reassure Turl Street’s inhabitants that the air is breathable beyond the safe confines of that cosy road.” Pull said of Exeter’s perspective on the newspa­per’s attack, “OxStu will regret this – we will take them down brick by brick if necessary, even if it means stepping out of the confines of Turl Street.”One Jesus second year said in de­fence of his turf, “I love Turl Street; it’s small but perfectly formed, more than can be said about the OUSU buildings.” Munn continued, “The OxStu can bring it on. We’ll show them what Turl Street’s made of. Tar­mac, mostly.”ARCHIVE: 5th week MT 2005