Wadham student injured in leap from College buildings

A male first year student from Wad­ham is being treated in hospital after falling from the roof
of his College. Paramedics were called to Wadham at 1.55am on Wednesday, after the stu­dent fell to the ground from a wall.One student from Wadham, who wishes to remain anonymous, said: “As I understand it, the student concerned fell off the wall at the top of the stairs, from a height of, I’d say, 12-15 feet.” It is believed that the student went to Filth on Tuesday evening then re­turned to Wadham in the early hours of Wednesday. It has been reported by fellow College members that he tried to jump from the top of the steps leading up to the JCR onto the roof of the Music Room. The College would not make any comments on the incident, telling Cherwell that they have “left the han­dling of the matter of communicating with the press to the University Press Office”.The University Press Office released the following statement: “A first year male undergraduate was injured fol­lowing an incident at the College on Wednesday morning (9 November). He is being treated in the John Radcliffe Hospital, where he is under observation. The College will be looking at the circumstances of this incident.”The police were called to Wadham to investigate the incident immedi­ately after it had occurred. Speaking to the Oxford Mail, a spokesperson for Thames Valley Police said, “We were called at 1.59am to ensure there were no suspicious circumstances, and that the incident is not being treated as suspicious. “We believe the student fell as the result of an accident, and he is not thought to have fallen from a great height. He was conscious afterwards, but there are no further details about his injuries. His injuries are not thought to be life-threatening.”Kate Mieske, Wadham Student Union (Wadham’s Junior Common Room) Welfare & Housing officer, said, “I personally don’t know how he is at the moment. But the SU do hope that the student will be fine soon.”ARCHIVE: 5th week MT 2005