Blues skate past Dynamos

In an exciting match full of goals and even more narrow misses Oxford, led by player of the match Dominique Chaput, were able to retain their composure in defence to come out convincing winners and provide the perfect birthday present for their Captain, Marcie Reinhart.The Blues were on top from the off, Catherine Pinder netting with just forty seconds gone after some quick passing and heavy pressure at Invicta’s net, Jamie Waller doubling the lead only minutes later. The Dynamos came charging back however, with the masterful Chelsea Meaney driving a slap shot past the helpless Andrea Lewis before Kate Hancock levelled the scores. Only some athletic net minding from Lewis prevented Invicta from taking the lead. However, Reinhart now capped a fine first period performance with a stunning goal to regain the momentum for her side and give the Blues a 3-2 lead at the end of a breathless first half.The second period saw the Blues stamp their authority on the game, netting another three to put the result beyond doubt and leave out in the cold. Meaney continued to harass the Blues defence who at times struggled to get to grips with her speed and stick control. Meaney’s enthusiasm, however, got the better of her as she was sent to the sin bin for two minutes after a vicious body check. The Blues wasted no time in capitalising on the power play to put yet another past the helpless Vallerie Fraser who could only witness the onslaught unfold before her. Cat Pinder then added a fifth in what was a period dominated by the Blues. The final period saw the Oxford defence split open yet again by Meaney, who failed to capitalise on three opportunities as she tried to drag her team out of the huge deficit by their bootstraps. In the end though it was Lisa Villeneuve and Pinder’s partnership that paid dividends as they combined some incisive passes for Villeneuve to shoot the puck once again into the Dynamos’ net. Oxford’s Georgia Gale-Grant and Cat Pinder were unlucky yet again as they were denied what would have been fantastic goals by only inches as the puck flew tantalisingly close to Invicta net. Alina Turek who capped a great performance both by herself and the team by adding a seventh to the score board, heaping further dismay upon a disheartened side.a performance of such dominance and finesse against an side who currently top the British League South Division One must leave the Blues with very high confidence for the remainder of their season.The game was finally put even further beyond doubt by Rip-roaring, non-stop, end-to-end action” was the order of the day on Saturday as Oxford’s Women’s Ice Hockey team crushed the highly rated Iinvicta Dynamos at the Oxford Ice Rink.ARCHIVE: 6th week MT 2005