Pick of the week

Best start to the termWith a distinct absence of plays kicking off Trinity Term, there is disappointingly little competition for this slot. Be this as it may, let it take nothing away from Emma Jenkinson’s sterling performance this week, as she takes on the lead role of Sarah in Harold Pinter’s The Lover. In doing so, she has proved equal to her previously high standards. Audiences might well remember her as the delightfully bitchy hostess in Mike Leigh’s Abigail’s Party at the O’Reilly, a role which Jenkinson performed in true Hyacinth Bucket fashion. The diversity of her talent was demonstrated by her “flawless portrayal” of Maggie last year in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, a role that demanded a quite different style.
Casting disaster of the weekAs any director will undoubtedly tell you, casting is an integral part of the production process. It requires careful attention and deliberation to find the right man for the right role. No stranger to controversy, Tom Littler has demonstrated this week that it just doesn’t do to be too picky. Having been unable to find anyone talented enough to meet the high standards of professionalism he appears to have demanded for the role of Thomas a Becket, he has entirely abandoned his forthcoming production of Murder in the Cathedral, due to have taken place in Christ Church Chapel. That said, Littler soon may not be alone in his plight. This term’s OUDS calender is typically crowded, and Oxford’s top stars are in short supply. With several actors having already taken on a number of productions, and others sidelined by exam commitments, it may be time for some new talent to step forward.
And another thing…Ah, Burlesk. It was such a talking point last term, but can the enigmatic and at times rather hit-andmiss Jongleurs regular engage and regain a Trinity audience? For a start, they’ve moved to a Monday night slot starting at 10pm, which affords them the opportunity of presenting a longer performance. According to Sheridan Edwards, the show’s coordinator, this will consist of up to 75% more material including some rather topical, if somewhat unorthodox, party political broadcasts. A lot of Burlesk’s custom seems to be coming from the organisation of launch parties for student theatrical productions; look out for that of Orpheus in the Underworld in 5th Week. They will also be branching out from the Jongleurs venue, playing at the Christ Church and St Cross balls, before heading to the Edinburgh Festival and then on a mini-tour of London after the summer season. So the future does look bright in terms of demand; but the jury is still out as to whether the performative strength of the show can ever live up to its slick marketing.ARCHIVE: 0th week TT 2005