Big Brother – Fun with the Freshers

The recent annual inundation of fresh-faced new students has led to the inevitable freshers’ week fatigue, as party follows party and every drink has a one penny piece settled threateningly on the glass’s bottom. Freshers’ week brought the obligatory nightly excursion out clubbing, with a house party or two thrown in for good measure. We all did it once, but there’s something truly obnoxious about these naïve and ever so over-excited people who think that everything is just the most exciting thing in the world.
I spent several evenings last week stepping over such newcomers as they cowered in the street, holding back their hair and shivering in their mini-skirts. Admittedly, one year ago this was me carrying my paralytic new friends back to college, but now that the shoe is on the other foot it’s all a little unnerving. Were we ever this young? Were we ever that excited about a house party in Cowley? Sadly the answer is yes. So here’s to the freshers who truly don’t know what they’ve let themselves in for. Enjoy it while it lasts, before you have your first essay crisis and slip secretly into your overdraft. Before you know it there’ll be a new crowd emerging from the woodwork, and you’ll begin to wonder when you got so old.
Of course, while throngs of unknowing newcomers went off into the night for a casual pull in the shadowy corners of the Bridge, some of us were already in the library, doing the summer reading that we never quite got round to doing and writing the essays that were due two days before. So which was worse? First years over-doing their first week of unadulterated, independent university life, or those who should know better squeezing too much work into too little time?  Freshers’ week was our last chance to have seven days of packing in as many random celebrations into such little time for at least a term, so hopefully everyone managed to tear themselves away from their studies for at least one night. If you missed it though, try to let your inner fresher out once in a while, even for one night of carefree clubbing. Perhaps I’ll see you in the gutter.