Turkish leader declares war at Union

THE TURKISH Prime Minister told members of the Oxford Union on Monday night that he believed military action against Kurdish rebels in northern Iraq was “inevitable”.
Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s visit prompted a massive but successful security operation.
In his speech, Edrogan said that Turkey was planning to launch a military offensive in Iraqi territory in the next few days if the US and Iraq fail to rein in the militant Kurdish Workers Party (PKK).
“PKK is using Northern Iraq as a base to organise attacks against Turkey. That she will be using her right of self-defence is inevitable…but Turkey is not attacking Iraq or its government,” he said.
Erdogan also criticised the American and Iraqi governments, claiming they had been slow to help Turkey put down the PKK which is fighting for greater Kurdish independence in Turkey.
“We have come to the end of our patience. Even if Turkey does not get the cooperation she wants she will continue to fight against terrorism. We have told the US and Iraq that we will do what is necessary to protect our interests if within a few days those developments that we expect do not take place,” he said.
Erdogan has come under renewed pressure to begin a military assault on Kurdish militants after 12 soldiers were killed and eight went missing following border clashes that began two day ago.
In his talk at the Union, Erdogan also spoke of his continued frustration at Turkey’s slow progress in acquiring membership of the European Union. He accused European states of preventing his country from modernising, and argued that its membership was vital.
“Some EU states are trying to prevent [Turkey’s development]. They believe that we are too culturally different to become a member. This makes us very sad.
“The EU must think bigger. It must not lose sight of it global vision. Turkish membership will allow the EU to realize its full potential,” he continued.
He added that Turkey would not bow to international pressure to deter it from seeking an alliance that benefited its economy.
“We are aware that Iran is developing a nuclear capability. We too are considering nuclear energy to help us overcome our energy needs.
“Iran supplies us with half the natural gas that comes from Russia. Are we not to get natural gas because someone else is hurt by this? When we came to government our goal was to make friends not enemies. We do not have hostility; our aim is to continue in a friendly environment,” he stated.
The talk was given as part of the Turkish Prime Minister’s two-day visit to Britain, during which he discussed Turkey’s role in the Middle East with Prime Minister Gordon Brown and Foreign Secretary David Miliband.