Keble kings retain crown again

Magdalen 3 – 18 Keble KEBLE re-asserted their authority in the world of college rugby after claiming their third successive Division One title on Tuesday. Magdalen went into the game with an outside chance of stealing their opponent’s crown but came unstuck against a Keble machine who have not lost a league fixture in two and a half years.
Fittingly, given the importance of the match, Keble had by far their toughest outing this season against a combative and well drilled Magdalen team. Indeed, Magdalen’s structure and moves provided a touch of intrigue among some of the crowd, as it emerged that former Keble player and coach Winnie Humphreys was now managing their opposition.
The home side started strongest, with clear intent to stamp their dominance on Keble before they built up momentum. Winning an early scrum, Andrew Barnes had Keble pinned down with some astute kicking. However, Magdalen’s failure to capitalise on territorial gains proved to be their undoing, as it was throughout the match.
As the game swung back and forth between the respective 22’s,  Keble’s forwards made several powerful drives, attempting to break the deadlock. Reaping the benefit of these territorial gains with a penalty on 15 minutes, the Keble pack also powered over a try to cement their lead.
Yet this half was far from one-way traffic, and just before half-time Magdalen clawed 3 points back with a late tackle on one Waite brother by the other. Barnes easily slotted the resulting penalty kick to gain a just reward for a fiercely contested first half.
The second period was a similar battle of territorial control but again Keble’s sustained pressure reaped dividends as a penalty 10 minutes into the second half gave them  an 11 point lead. Picking up some momentum in the backline as the game opened up late into the second half, Keble completed a sweeping move. Starting from the centre and working the ball from right to left, Keble winger  Fox finished with an explosive dash to make the score 16-3. Peter Bolton then converted from a tight angle to hand Keble an 18-3 victory. 
As is so often the case the score line obscures what was a closely contested encounter. Magdalen will rue their lack of finishing, especially given the strength of their pack whose performance exerted considerable pressure on the champions, particularly in the second half. However, Keble fly-half Pete Bolton’s metronomic boot kept his side out of trouble and formed the basis of their attacks with his devastating accuracy.
Tellingly, Keble captain Max Cole suggested that while the game was well balanced, perhaps Magdalen’s game was too similar to a Keble side that had built up an immense head of steam ahead of this match.
Magdalen captain Andrew Johnson conceded that Keble have had a “great season” and he can console himself that his side came far closer than the score line suggests to derailing this seemingly unstoppable Keble juggernaut that will be already thinking of a fourth title.