Exeter mourns loss of two freshers

EXETER COLLEGE is in mourning following the sudden deaths of two first-year students on Monday. Sundeep Watts and Harcourt ‘Olly’ Tucker died within 48 hours of each other in two unrelated incidents.
After being diagnosed with bacterial meningitis on Saturday, Sundeep was taken to the John Radcliffe Hospital, where he passed away two days later. Olly suffered a heart attack while playing hockey at Iffley Road on Sunday and died the next day.
Exeter College has been closed to the public and authorities have expressed their condolences to the students’ families and friends.
College Rector Frances Cairncross said, “Exeter College is devastated by the deaths of Sundeep Watts and Harcourt ‘Olly’ Tucker. Our hearts go out to their families and friends. All the specialists dealing with him have assured us that there is no connection whatsoever between the two cases.
“The College has taken advice at every stage from the public-health authorities. Their view is that our other students are not at any increased risk of contracting meningitis. However, we have reinforced from Saturday onwards knowledge of the warning symptoms of meningitis. We have arranged an extensive network of counselling for anyone who requires it,” she said. 
According to the Health Protection Agency, Sundeep died from bacterial meningitis, which is carried by approximately 10 per cent of the population. The University has stressed that students are not at risk of a widespread meningitis outbreak, but have taken precautionary measures by distributing meningitis leaflets warning of infection symptoms.
Doctors attributed Tucker’s  death to a rare but potentially fatal heart condition called hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM), which is often known to cause sudden cardiac arrest in young athletes.
Hugh Watkins, Professor of Cardiovascular Medicine and a fellow at Exeter, said that the condition was uncommon, only affecting 1 in 500 people and in most cases was not fatal.
He said that in a small proportion of cases it could cause sudden heart rhythm disturbances that result in cardiac arrest, and that this was often the reason behind the deaths of young people during physical activity.
“These heart rhythm disturbances can strike out of the blue. When people die during sport HCM is one of the frequently found causes. For those known to have the condition protective treatments are available. Because of this, and because HCM usually is inherited, families affected by this sort of tragedy are offered screening,” Watkins added. 
Friends and colleagues have set up Facebook groups honouring the two students, and tributes of praise have poured in for them.
Leeds student Sami Eldirdiry-Osman, who had known Sundeep since childhood, said, “He was the nicest guy you would ever meet. Me and Sunny spent so much time together as kids, Deep was like a little brother to me. I remember playing bulldogs in the garden and 40-40 round the house, so many good memories. Deep was the kind of guy who never said a bad word about anyone and was always smiling. He was smart, funny, athletic and he’ll be sorely missed by all,” he said.
Another friend wrote, “I’ve known Deep since primary school and throughout this whole time he has always been the kindest, sweetest and by far the funniest person I’ve met.
God Bless you Deep.”
Olly’s friends prasied his intelligence and sporting skills, describing him as a popular and friendly individual.
“Olly was more than just an intelligent guy, he was a gentleman, a well rounded and enthusiastic guy with a lot going for him and a good friend to anybody he ever met. Winning the best all-rounder award at school was just a small indication of his stature and abilities as a person,” said one friend.
Daniel Sonnekus added, “You grew from a shy new boy to an amazing popular star everyone wanted to be at school and if they didn’t want to be you they wanted to know you. You touched many people and will never be forgotten. We are all keeping your family in our prayers.”