Benazir Bhutto Assassinated

Pakistani former Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto has today been assassinated. Bhutto was killed at a campaign rally when a suicide bomber shot her in the neck before blowing himself up, killing more than 15 people.

Benazir Bhutto studied PPE at Lady Margaret Hall, Oxford between 1973 and 1977, and became the first Asian woman to be elected President of the Oxford Union in 1976.

Bhutto was twice elected Prime Minister of Pakistan, first in 1988 when her administration was dismissed after 20 months over allegations of corruption, and second in 1993 where she was again removed in 1996 over similar charges.

While she and her party often enjoyed wide popular support, she was dogged by controversy over corruption and bad governance. From 1999 she lived in self-imposed exile in Dubai until President Musharraf signed in legislation giving her immunity from corruption charges.

She returned to Pakistan on 18th October 2007, when her motorcade was hit by a double suicide attack that killed 136 people. Bhutto was unhurt and went on to launch herself into campaigning for the parliamentary elections in January.

Benazir Bhutto’s assassination has been condemned by the US, UK and others. UK Foreign Secretary, David Milliband, said he was “deeply shocked by news of the latest attack in Rawalpindi, which has claimed the life of Benazir Bhutto and killed at least 15 other people."

Dr Frances Lannon, Principal of Lady Margaret Hall, said she was “appalled and upset to hear this news.”

“Benazir Bhutto was an Honorary Fellow of the College and was held in enormous respect by myself and the Fellows of the College. We admired her bravery and her determination to play a positive role supporting democratic values in Pakistan. Our thoughts are with her husband, children and friends,” she said.

Alex Priest, currently acting as President of the Oxford Union, said that, “The Oxford Union is profoundly saddened to hear of the assassination of Benazir Bhutto. Ms Bhutto was President of the Union in 1977, the first Asian woman to hold the post.”

“She continued to hold the Union in high esteem, and we were honoured by her presence on several occasions both during and after her period as Prime Minister of Pakistan. A debate will be held in honour of her memory at the beginning of Hilary term. At this awful time, the Union sends its condolences and sympathy to her family and friends,” he said.

Benazir Bhutto, ex-President of the Oxford Union, outside the Chamber.