Blues round up – 1st week

Women's Hockey

Despite some transport issues, Oxford eventually found the correct venue to take on the team directly above them in the league, Tulse Hill and Dulwich.  Their opponents started well, and Oxford found themselves a goal down within ten  minutes. Oxford battled back, but conceeded again at the start of the second  half. However, a finely finished goal from Beth Wild followed by a short corner  strike from Charlotte Jackson saw the Blues earn a hard fought draw against the  physical London side.

Netball

The Blues lost 30-27.  The Roos lost 28-24 in a tough match against Wolverhampton.  Despite dissapointment with the result, it was a strong performance agaisnt a physical side, with Emma Fuller drawing the plaudits with her virtuoso performance.  Only three months ago, the Roos lost by twelve points to the same opposition.  This is a real vindication for their new South African coach.  To still be maintaining a mid-table position, having only been promoted this year, is a genuine achievement. 

Women's Ice Hockey

A frustrating 3-1 defeat against Milton Keynes took place on Saturday. Having held their  opponents to 1-1 by the end of the first session, Oxford were disappointed to  have lost such a tight match.  But Milton Keynes' experience and fitness proved  decisive as they shut the Blues out after going in front. Tickets are soon on  sale at £5 for the Varsity match : 2 March at 6.15pm at the Oxford Ice Rink.

Coming up:

This Saturday will see Oxford Gaelic Football team take on Oxford Aussie Rules Football team in an International compromise rules match.  Expect to see the same sort of violence as takes place when Australia and Ireland contest these matches.

With thanks to Charlotte Jackson, Catherine Clark, Michelle Bannister and Tom Quinn. 

If you would like to see your Blues' results first on Cherwell24, e-mail [email protected] to see them
published online.