Wednesday cricket washout

For a summer sport, cricket’s language and rhythms are largely dictated by rain.  Covers coming on, light drizzle, covers coming off and Rain Stopped Play are all parts of the cricketing discourse.  Never is this more true than during April, when the new season is born at a stutter, with days and matches broken up by rain.  Before the long, hot summer afternoons there are hours of play stolen in between sheltering under the pavillion or in the changing rooms.

Despite a perfect start to the season, when the whole set of fixtures were played under bright sunshine, college cricket was marred by weather in second week, much to the frustration of various colleges and players.  Most Cuppers games were played on Monday, except for the tie between St Johns and Lady Margaret Hall which had to be delayed until Tuesday.  After bowling out LMH for 170, St John’s run chase was stopped by rain.

Whilst there will be a replay, allegedly in the Twenty20 format, St John’s’ left arm spinner James Earle was left frustrated by the cancellation: “We don’t play in the college league and so Cuppers is our only chance to play competitive cricket.  Last season we were knocked out in the second round at Magdalen after a good win at Jesus.  This year we’re keen to do much better. We were bowling well under the drizzle before we came off and were delighted to skittle out LMH for an attainable target.” LMH captain Tom Wherry said it was annoying, particularly “as we were supposed to have two games this week, and considering we only have an eight week season.”

Wednesday’s weather was even worse than Tuesday’s; and the League matches suffered accordingly.  Early season pace-setters New College, so far living up to their favourites’ tag with consecutive league and cup wins over Balliol, were prevented from competing against Keble. 

New’s wicketkeeper-captain Alex Asher was frustrated at the possible impact on their title challenge:  “It was disappointing to have our match at Keble called off today,  particularly having won each of our first league and cuppers games  against Balliol. Unfortunately, there’s no chance to reschedule these league games, so each team has to share the 22 points. I doubt that any other games took place today, so with a bit of luck we won’t have lost any ground to other teams, and are looking forward to matches next week.”

In Division Two bitter rivals St. Catherine’s and Magdalen were prevented from playing, leaving captain Alex Canfor-Dumas hoping for an upturn in fortunes.  “We needed the chance to get some momentum after our disappointing loss in the opening game.  All we can do now is pray that the weather picks up before Friday, when we play Teddy Hall in Cuppers.  To go out of Cuppers on the toss of a coin or a game of darts would be absolutely gutting.”

LMH skipper Wherry acknowledges that, despite the irritation, it’s a central part of our cricket season, reflecting: “Then again it is Oxford and it is England so it is kind of expected!”

BBC Weather anticipates a continuation of light showers over the weekend and into the start of 3rd week.