Disturbance at Campsfield House

Fire broke out at Campsfield House Immigration Removal Centre on Saturday 14th, with plumes of smoke reportedly visible.

It is believed small fires were started, but were limited to one block of the facility. 

Violent disturbances were reported, with a number of inmates reportedly smashing furniture and climbing onto the roof.

There was a heavy police presence and 10 fire engines are understood to have attended, as well as a police helicopter and paramedics. One detainee was apparently seen being put into an ambulance.

A inmate told independent news site Indymedia that the incident began around lunchtime, with detainees protesting over detention times. Detainees were held in an exercise yard during the incident.

A Home Office spokesman said: "Police were asked by the UK Border
Agency for assistance and police have secured the perimeter, which has
not been breached.

"Specially trained prison officers have been sent to the site in riot gear in case they are needed to go inside." 

This is not the first time the controversial detention centre has seen such an incident. In July last year 26 people escaped after a fire, with 8 still on the run, and there have been two further incidents in the last 16 months.

In a video investigation for Cherwell last term, Nejra Cehic uncovered allegations of violence within Campsfield House and examined the plight of failed asylum seekers.

Campsfield House is run by the UK branch of private American firm GEO Group Inc.