Dominant Blues return to top of table

BLUES 4
WARWICK 1

Oxford put the disappointment of the previous two weeks behind them with a convincing victory against bottom of the table Warwick 1sts. After losing and drawing to Nottingham 1sts and 2nds respectively over the past two weeks, the Blues were looking to revitalise their league form, and started at a high tempo.

Indeed they took the lead after just two minutes, Lucian Weston winning a 50:50 challenge before sliding the ball between the centre-back and full-back for Alex Toogood. The finish was exemplary and despite the protestations of the Warwick back line for a suspected handball, the goal was given, providing the ideal start for Oxford. The game continued at the same high tempo, but the pitch was not conducive to one-touch football, and despite glimpses of quality football, Oxford struggled to gain any authority over Warwick.

Warwick had decided that route one was their best option, and following a long goal kick this proved to the case. Indecision between defenders Hodgson and Squires allowed the ball to bounce, and after a further mix-up between these two and keeper Whylly, an attacker was able to nip in between before being brought down by Whylly, resulting in a penalty. Warwick could not take this opportunity, with the penalty cannoning back off the post, but it was only another 10 minutes before an almost identical mix-up between the same three players this time did result in a goal. Although this mix-up was costly, it was perhaps not reflective of the game as a whole, as Oxford were pressing high up the pitch, and chances were being created, with de Walden unfortunate not to get a better result after connecting with a Kelly cross.

A constructive team talk at half-time, in which the defensive problems were ironed out, allowed Oxford to start the second-half with confidence and intent. And yet again, they were rewarded with Weston scoring from 25 yards with what looked suspiciously like a mis-hit shot. All goals count however, and this one allowed Oxford to assume control of the game, and with Warwick tiring, space was appearing in the middle of the park. Knight and Weston were able to use this space effectively, and began to regularly spray the ball out wide to wingers McCrickerd and Kelly, who were finding acres of room.

The third goal was testament to this, the ball being played out to McCrickerd, whose chipped ball down the line was flicked on by de Walden to Toogood. He turned the last defender with ease before neatly chipping the ball over the helpless ‘keeper to double the advantage. The Blues now began to use the ball far better, especially from the back, with Wherry in particular carrying the ball forward with purpose on a number of occasions. Indeed the fourth goal was only a matter of time, and after another clipped ball down the channel, this time from Kelly, Toogood was able to beat his man before cutting back the ball for de Walden who totally fluffed it, but McCrickerd was on hand to deliver an emphatic finish and increase further Oxford’s lead.

More chances were created in the remaining 15 minutes as Oxford enjoyed their football, and during this period Oxford could have easily increased their lead. Kelly had a goal dubiously disallowed for offside, whilst Weston, Knight, Kelly and substitute Zagajewski all tried their luck from range in what was becoming an increasingly one-sided display. Oxford were unable to add to their lead, but this result will no doubt have given the side confidence in their challenge for the BUCS title, especially as their main title rivals lost, allowing Oxford to once again top the table.