Corpus Christi stripped of Uni Challenge title

The BBC has stripped Corpus Christi College of their recent victory on University Challenge in the wake of revelations that one member of their team was no longer a student when the quiz show was filmed.

The team-mate in question told viewers, “I’m Sam Kay from Frimley, Sussex and I’m studying Chemistry” when introducing himself on the show. In fact, Kay graduated during the filming of the early rounds, and was working as a graduate accountant for corporate giant PriceWaterhouseCoopers for most of the time in which the series was being recorded.

In a press release this evening the BBC said they had found themselves “in the regrettable position of having to disqualify Corpus Christi from the final. This means they forfeit their hard-won title which now goes to the Manchester University team.”

Disappointment

A statement from Corpus Christi said, “our students entered University Challenge in good faith. The team had a wonderful run and we are, of course, disappointed to be losing the title.”

Kay himself has expressed regret at events, and told the BBC’s news team, “I had honestly believed I was eligible as I had indicated my course dates when I applied. I can only apologise to the other competitors and especially to my team as it was never my intention to mislead anyone.”

The team from Manchester University who now hold the champion’s title stated yesterday evening that they had had “no desire” for a re-match.