Oxford Victorious in 125th Varsity Football Match

Sunday morning saw Oxford begin as they meant to go on with a hard-fought 1-0 victory prior to the expected triumph of their rowing counterparts in the afternoon’s boat race.

Following a 5-3 defeat the previous year, Oxford were perhaps not such heavy favourites to lift the C.B. Fry Trophy, but they displayed determination and resilience, putting in a solid performance at Craven Cottage.
The Dark Blues dominated right from kick-off, playing some very neat football and showing themselves the deft passing side they claim to be. It took only ten minutes for Sam Hall to drive a powerful low shot past Cambridge keeper Stuart Ferguson to put Oxford ahead. He could have netted a brace had he not headed wide just seconds later.
Oxford continued to enjoy chances during the first period but were unable to provide themselves with the two-goal cushion they were seeking, with Cambridge proving tough opposition at the back.

The Light Blues emerged a different side, something in coaches Alex Coleman and Sam Willett’s locker-room speeches evidently rousing them to a comeback. The second half was far more end-to-end, both teams enjoying spells of dominance and both spending plenty of time in the opposition’s half.

Oxford keeper Dwayne Whylly was called on to make some spectacular saves, and performed almost faultlessly, giving the Oxford support only one occasion for nerves when he dropped the ball close to the edge of the area – only to be quickly rescued by his solid defence. Toby Hodgson was a rock in the centre of Oxford’s back four, the partnership between he and captain Tom Wherry proving almost impregnable to the Light Blues’ forwards, and Leon Farr contributing with some tackles reminiscent of a young Ron ‘Chopper’ Harris.

As 90 minutes drew to a close, Oxford regained their advantage somewhat, settling once more into moving the ball around with precision and carving space for attacking balls. Alex Toogood was put through in a promising position ten minutes from the final whistle, but his venomous shot sailed over the crossbar. Moments later, James Kelly looked a dead cert to put his name on the scoresheet as he dribbled down the left, leaving a Cambridge defender standing, and fired across goal, only to see his shot tipped agonisingly wide of the upright.

The sound of Howard Webb’s whistle was a welcome one to everybody in Dark Blue, sealing Oxford’s 49th Varsity win, and ending a run of three consecutive victories for a devastated Cambridge side.