Exeter MCR stripped of Page 3

A mystery member of Exeter College has been ripping The Sun’s notorious Page 3 from the MCR’s copy of the newspaper.

The vandalism went on “daily, diligently” until a warning message sent to MCR members put a stop to the defacement last week.

The page, which features a photo of a scantily clad female, was torn out each morning, preventing others from reading stories on the other side.

Sahana Ghosh, the vice-president of the MCR, told members of the college, “Tearing a page out is NOT an acceptable way of showing enjoyment or disapproval-the paper is meant for all members of the MCR and this does not please members who find an unreadable story because the first half is gone every single morning.”

The motive behind the incidents is still unknown, but several members of the college have suggested the move was a political statement. One MCR member said, “My inkling is that it was a religious or feminist protest rather than a Page 3 collector.”

One first year History and Politics student commented, “I think that person should be applauded, as it is disgusting that we are still degrading women in what is the biggest selling paper in the country.”

But whatever the motive, the MCR is determined to put a stop to it. Ghosh warned graduates, “We have ways and means of finding out who is doing this and so there are suspects. In other words, you are being watched, so please stop.”
Ghosh added, “The newspapers are delivered to the MCR and kept in everyone’s view-the person(s) would definitely have been seen doing it had s/he/they been doing it in the presence of anyone in the MCR.”

She told students, “The MCR pays good money for its newspapers and will not tolerate vandalism of its property.” The culprit may also face disciplinary action, she warned.

Anyone objecting to the page for moral reasons should bring the issue up through official channels. She said, “If it irks you so much, bring it up and we can assure you a fair hearing.”