LMH student dies

An undergraduate studying at Lady Margaret Hall has died. Toby Rundle, a third year reading Classics and English, was found in his room by a fellow student on Thursday last week.

Thames Valley police have confirmed that they attended the college and are not treating the death as suspicious.
The Principal of LMH, Dr. Frances Lannon said, “We were deeply saddened by the death of Toby Rundle, a third-year undergraduate at Lady Margaret Hall.

“Toby was a student of Classics and English and was well liked by everyone in college. Our condolences and thoughts are with his family and friends at this very difficult time.”

A University spokesperson commented, “Lady Margaret Hall and the University of Oxford have some of the most comprehensive and varied systems of welfare and pastoral support of any university in the UK or beyond.

“A range of support is available at many levels – college, university, Student Union, and the local Primary Care Trust where relevant.”

“The LMH Welfare Committee regularly reviews welfare support, and support systems are actively advertised and promoted in LMH.

“The college has a strong community spirit and actively promotes a culture of support and communication. The message that ‘it is always alright to ask for help’ is frequently reiterated.”

The University counselling service will be offering additional support for students at LMH.

The death occurred a week before the conclusion of an inquest into the death of LMH student John Ddungu earlier this year.

Last February John Ddungu, a second-year undergraduate at Lady Margaret Hall was found dead in his room. On Thursday, the Coroner Nicholas Gardiner has recorded a verdict that the student took his life on February 26th or February 27th this year.

Ddungu was found by the college porter after a friend informed the lodge he hadn’t seen the student for several days.