Worcester porter found in lake

A porter was found floating unconscious in the lake at the bottom of Worcester grounds on Sunday evening.

The porter was discovered by third year students who had heard shouts coming from the lake.

They immediately alerted the Porters’ Lodge and the emergency services. Police, an emergency response car, an ambulance, and two fire engines arrived at the scene within minutes.

The incident took place on Sunday evening, at around 10.30pm. All the students who were present at the scene live in the Sainsbury building, a third year flat on Worcester grounds that is closest to the lake.

Whilst waiting for the emergency services to arrive, another porter from the lodge attempted to rescue his colleague from the lake.

Although the unconscious porter was near the edge of the water and close to the banks of the lake, his colleague was unable to move him as he was too heavy. Mud also slowed down the effort.

Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue Service received a call at 10.42pm to the grounds of Worcester College.

Two fire engines and a rescue boat were sent to the scene. The porter, aged around sixty, was recovered from the lake, and left in the care of the Ambulance Services.

Having rescued the porter, the fire services called the police, who arrived at Worcester grounds soon after.

South Central Ambulance Service confirmed, “We sent three resources to Worcester grounds: an emergency response car, an ambulance and an officer. The man was recovered from the lake- he was not conscious when we arrived at the scene, but by the time we arrived at the John Radcliffe Hospital, he was conscious and breathing”.

A spokesperson from Thames Valley Police said “It is not confirmed how the porter came to be in the lake. However, we did not feel there were suspicious circumstances surrounding the event, and we do not believe there was a third party involved. We are not investigating the matter.”

Mr Stephen Dyer, Domestic Bursar of Worcester College issued a statement, confirming that: “A man was rescued from Worcester College Pond at around 10:45pm. The emergency services attended and he was taken away by ambulance to the John Radcliffe Hospital where he is now reported to be doing well and is expected to make a full recovery.”