Street pastors help Oxford

Oxford is to see the introduction of a ‘Street Pastor’ scheme later this year.

The Street Pastors will patrol Oxford’s streets on a Friday night from 10pm until 4am and will be armed with lollipops for drunks, flip flops for women unable to walk in high heels and a listening ear.

The church-run initiative was first introduced in London in 2003 and is currently running in 135 towns and cities across the country.

Mark Mills, a 3rd year History student at St Edmund’s Hall and Liberal Democrat Councillor for the Holywell ward, has praised the introduction of the program in Oxford.

He stated, ” I think this is a fantastic scheme that has real potential to make the city of Oxford safer and more pleasant for everybody.”

“The point is more that there are dangers out there and this is something we can do to reduce them.”

Street Pastors, which is run by the nationwide body Ascenion Trust, will first take to the streets in June. CRB checks and training will take place in the meantime.

The volunteers will receive 50 hours of thorough training, in part provided by the police, to ensure they are prepared for the problems they might face.

The pastors will be identifiable by their bright blue coats with ‘Street Pastors’ emblazoned on the back.

David Burrowes, MP for Enfield, said “Street Pastors is about Christians rolling up their sleeves and getting involved in practically responding to the problems of crime and safety. They are like beacons on our streets and I want to see them shining brightly in every constituency”

Students have also been expressing their support for the scheme.

Andy James, a second-year law student, said, “It is great to know that there is someone looking out for you. Most people have needed someone at one point or another and, if nothing else, its nice to know there is someone there to just to listen to your problems.”

The launch of the initiative, which took place on Monday evening, attracted more than forty potential volunteers.

Following endorsements from Oxford City Council and Thames Valley Police, co-founder Reverend Katherine Bracewell is excited to see the project gaining momentum.

“As well as offering a service to people, we want to listen to them; learning about the highs, lows, headaches and heartaches of many people who, for whatever reason, are on the streets at night-time in Oxford city centre.”