Jesus JCR President resigns

This week Ross Evans stood down from his position, only six months into his role as Jesus’s JCR President.

Evans said that a combination of factors had lead to his decision. “It was the right thing to do. It works for me, for the JCR and for everyone involved. Hopefully stepping down will mean a line is drawn under that and the new President can have a fresh start.”

Evans also commented that he wanted to spend more time on his academic work and do it at his own pace. When asked if he regretted becoming JCR President he said, “No, not at all. I wouldn’t change it at all.”

Evans stressed that in no way did the College force him to step down. He added, “I spoke to a range of people about it and there was a consensus. I am really going to miss it (although maybe not waking up to a barrage of emails every day).”

Elections for the position took place on Thursday, although there was only one candidate. The current acting President, Alex Mohan, stood unopposed.

Ross Evans praised Mohan, saying, “I’m sure he’ll do a brilliant job.” Mohan did not wish to comment on Ross Evans’ decision to step down.

Rishi Patel, a second year linguist at Jesus, expressed surprise that Evans had chosen to step down now. “It’s interesting that he chose to step down last week, just a few short days before he was due to help write a report concerning our college’s plan to increase the cost of rent. This was something he’d been fighting against quite passionately.”

Jesus rent fees are set to rise by 8.5% this year. This is the seventh consecutive year that Jesus have raised their College fees. Patel said that Evans had, “put a lot of effort into the job, and really did everything he could to fight for members of the JCR.”

Izzy Lever, a first year English student, also regretted that Evans decided to relinquish the presidency. “Ross was an excellent president, it is a pity that he has stood down.  He fought hard on behalf of the JCR.  I guess the decision is a personal one at the end of the day.”

The College declined to comment on the matter.