The Terrific Ten

This year has seen many highs and lows, great victories and narrow losses, magnificent individual and team performances, moments of controversy, sheer genius, madness and inspiration – what more could you want? From the hundreds of games which have taken place throughout the year, we’ve narrowed it down to just ten splendid sporting moments which have stood out in this year’s Oxford Sporting Calendar!

2009 Varsity Ski Race

Whilst the Men’s Blues couldn’t quite match their Light Blue rivals, the Women’s Blues team cementing a 34 second win over the Cambridge – one of the best results in the history of the Women’s Varsity Ski Racing. If there was a nomination for team of the year, then the Women’s Varsity Ski team would certainly be contenders.

2009 U21s Nomura Varsity Rugby Match

Whilst this year’s Blues Team narrowly missed out on retaining their Varsity Trophy despite putting in a heroic effort led from the front by Captain Dan Rosen, it was the U21s who shone in the sunshine at the home of English Rugby, Twickenham, as they romped to a convincing win over Cambridge by 53-17. Amongst the star performers was St Peter’s very own Daniel Levene who replicated Tim Caitling’s feat in the 2008 Varsity Match by scoring a sensational hat-trick of tries. Hats off to him and the U21 Rugby Blues!

2010 Town vs. Gown Boxing Tournament

Picture the setting: Oxford Union, the Boxing Ring, the Blue corner, the Red Corner, the bells, the jabs, the blows, right hook, left hook, upper cut and you have yourself a singular Boxing experience that only Oxford could conjure! With 500 people crammed into the world renowned debating hall, amateur boxing came to the fore where an extraordinary evening of entertainment and sporting prowess helped to fuel what was an electric atmosphere. It really was blood, sweat and tears but with such an enthusiast response to the event, there’s no doubt that boxing at Oxford has a bright future ahead of it!

2010 Fencing Varsity Match

En garde, Swords at the ready! With Cambridge having retained the trophy since 2008, this year there was an even greater desire to win back the trophy from Cambridge’s tight grasp on the title. Further spice was added to the occasion with sibling rivalry in the form of the Crutchett brothers, the appearance of Oxford’s very own ‘Ginger Ninja’ and Oxford awe-inspiring Luxembourgian fencer – who turned out to be Oxford’s match winner. In the end the tabs were butchered at the very end going down by the narrowest margins of 45-43 thus Oxford really did ‘foil’ Cambridge’s attempt at winning a third consecutive Varsity crown.

2010 Netball Varsity Match

Having been narrowly defeated in last year’s Varsity match, the Blues duly got their revenge with a 44-35 victory. Unlike the girls on show, the match wasn’t particularly attractive but the Blues matched Cambridge for pace, skill and agility, pouncing on any rebounds and interceptions, really taking the game to their opponents with Nathalie Hoon, in particular, in fine goal shooting form. Maybe next year the Cambridge girls will take their pre-match preparations more seriously instead of posing, as they did this year, for an exclusive Varsity Netball shoot!

The 2010 Exchanging Boat Race

When people think of Oxford the first thing, apart from the academic side of things, which springs to mind is the world famous Boat Race. With thousands of people, amongst those students past and present, lining the stretch of the River Thames from Putney to Mortlake, media crews abound and Pimms on the go it really is the quintessential Oxford Sporting experience. Making its 156th appearance on the big stage, all the odds favoured another Oxford win particularly having won the all important toss and starting off from Surrey Station where 39 of the last 64 races had been won. Despite starting off well, Oxford well away and Cambridge eventually ran out as clear winners.

The 2010 Varsity Goat Race

With more than double the number of people at the inaugural goat race in 2009, this year’s goat race had an extra edge to it as this year the competitors were brother and sister. Nothing better than a bit of sibling rivalry! It was boisterous brother Bentley (Oxford) up against shy sister Bramble (Cambridge). Unfortunately Bentley underperformed on the day and finished runner up to his sister as she won in an blistering 1min 14 seconds. So whilst Cambridge’s Bramble reflects upon another victory, Bentley will have time to reflect upon his performance and assess all the possibilities that lie ahead of him.

U Rally

Whilst much of the focus has been upon team performances it is also important to highlight the great work done by so many individuals throughout the University in the sporting circles. One of those is John Rendel, a New College Post Graduate, who runs the growing charity Promoting Equality in African Schools (PEAS). To raise money for his charity his solution is U Rally – a two or four week road trip in August to wherever you want to go! Participants compete for points scored by completing up to 51 ‘Pub Story’ Challenges.

2010 Varsity Football Match

Winning a Varsity match is always sweet, but winning it in dramatic fashion in your opponent’s back yard may just make it even sweeter. Well that’s exactly what Oxford’s Men’s Blues Football team did this year. After a pulsating ninety minutes which saw the teams finish level at the end of it, Oxford held their nerve scoring a perfect five goals from five attempts and with the help of their wily goalkeeper Dwayne Whylly, it ensured a famous victory for the Dark Blues.

2010 Dancesport Varsity Match

Strictly come Dancesport, Murder on the Dancefloor, come up with whatever pun you may like but whichever tune you dance to, there’s no denying that Oxford dancing is at an all time high. Having won this year’s Varsity Match as well as the Challenge Match, Oxford were also crowned champions at the British University Dancesport Championships. So all I can say to all dancers at Oxford in true Bruce Forsyth fashion – Keeeeep dancing!