Oxford stumped by Tabs

It has been an impressive season for Oxford University’s Women’s Cricket Team with a series of victories in the warm up matches, including winning their group in the BUCS trophy and enjoying high profile games, such as hosting the MCC in the Parks.

Oxford entered this year’s Varsity match with increased optimism, following a talented intake of freshers to play alongside some OUWCC regulars. The Varsity campaign this season held much more hope than the previous year, with an impressive bowling attack looking dangerous. Held at Lord’s at the same time as the men’s game, the women’s fixture is enjoying increasing support each year, with the nursery ground providing a fantastic venue.

Winning the toss for the 50 over match, Oxford put Cambridge into bat first. Cambridge batted solidly against Oxford’s tight bowling attack throughout their innings, but lost wickets regularly, keeping Oxford in the game. Good middle order support was provided by Bellfield and Lavender, helping Cambridge to a total of 241, all out. Bex Hay and Pim Fitzpayne, both taking 2 wickets at crucial moments, led the Oxford bowling attack, with Captain Sophie le Marchand coordinating the field from behind the stumps.

With 241 as the target, Oxford set out after lunch, optimistically knowing that the total was achievable with a good batting performance throughout the order. Sophie le Marchand marshalled the innings from the top, making an impressive 79, the highest score in the match.
Unfortunately, wickets fell regularly and when Le Marchand was out at the fall of the 6th wicket, Cambridge celebrated knowing that victory was near. Oxford made a total of 133 all out, allowing Cambridge to retain the Varsity title.