Review: Surfing The Void

With its novel combination of rock and “nu-rave” (a term coined by band-member Jamie Reynolds), Klaxons’ debut album Myths Of The Near Future immediately sent waves through the scene. Surfing The Void builds on the band’s established sound. Initially rejected by the their record label for being too experimental, the album is texturally chaotic, featuring deliriously energetic layers of riffs and melodies.

The first track echoes the hook-laden pop of ‘Golden Skans’, but is noticeably less tight; the band provide a turbulent backing of pounded piano chords, eerie guitar drones and unrestrained polyphony. It is nonetheless an infectious opening, and sets the tone for the rest of the album. The title track sounds like the soundtrack to a party inside a hurricane, as guitar lines twist around furious drums, and a screamed invitation to “Take in! Mystica!”. The music takes a distinctly eighties turn with ‘Venusia’, which eschews the sonic chaos in favour of a relaxed groove. The chorus is instead driven by the album’s characteristically dense use of special effects, which are also used to wonderfully deranged effect on ‘Extra Astronomical’. Yet they sound overdone on ‘Flashover’, which, in spite of some dynamic variation, feels like an aural assault. The album closes with the rockier number ‘Cypherspeed’, whose lyrics and psychedelic licks are a testament to Klaxons’ futurist inspirations.

On Surfing The Void, Klaxons appear to have supercharged their nu-rave sound with vivid electric soundscapes. The album is certainly ambitious, and although overdone in places, it allures through its sheer energy.