Somerville bop dropped

Somerville students were left disappointed last weekend, as the College’s Hallowe’en bop was postponed by a week because of a late licensing application.

Hallowe’en will instead be celebrated on Saturday 6th November, while most other colleges are out at Bonfire Night events.
“There was no decanal reasoning for stopping the bop,” said Entz Rep Joe de Sousa.

“We submitted the alcohol licence application a day late and as such it did not come through in time.”

The Entz Reps declined to say why the application for one of the first bops of the year had been made too late in the first place.
The reaction around the college to the delay was mixed.
“It’s absolutely crap,” said one second year, who preferred to remain anonymous.

“The phrase ‘piss-up in a brewery’ comes to mind.”
However a number of students claimed to have had no intention of going to the event in the first place.

“Being a second year, I wasn’t really interested,” said Jake Shelley. “It gets dominated by the freshers, really.”

Anne Taylor, a Somerville fourth year, was more outspoken. “Of course hardly anybody apart from a handful of first years was going to go,” she said. “There’s just no spirit of camaraderie in the JCR.”

“It’s ridiculous that the Hallowe’en bop will be happening after Bonfire Night,” she continued, “but then it’s equally ridiculous that our college bar is losing money.”

Meanwhile, JCR President David Railton sent round an email promising the JCR that the bop would go ahead this Saturday.

“Look on the bright side,” it read, “you’ll get an awesome costume at half the price in the sale now.”