Finalists’ vac res budget cut short

Lady Margaret Hall finalists have discovered for the first time this week that only 20,000 will be put towards vacation residence for finalists at the college, less than half of that spent last year.

This has caused outrage as LMH students have said they feel ‘tricked’ by their college into living on campus by not being fully informed of these changes in funding.

An emergency JCR meeting was held this Monday in which JCR President Jessica Shuman explained that the college was unable to fund the same amount of students to live in residence this Easter Vacation.

Shuman told the JCR, ‘the college just have no money,’ and claimed the college wished to instead rent out the students’ rooms to conference guests.

This year the amount the college has set aside for vacation residence would finance a maximum of eight vacation days per student, although Senior Tutor Dr Fiona Spensley disclosed to Cherwell that this money would in fact ‘most likely be for financial hardship.’

Previously all students had the option of 15 free days of vacation residence in their final year and 10 free days in their penultimate year, a scheme which cost the college �51,000 last year.

Shuman explained that this amount had been spent as the new student Finance Officer had not been properly consulted, while Dr Spensley admitted, ‘the college significantly over-spent the agreed funding last year as the demand for vacation residence for students increased.’

David Pares, a third year student at LMH, maintains that ‘the line from college that ‘there is no money left’ is not a strong one.’

‘Whilst managing the college finances is not the JCR’s responsibility, a decision of this magnitude should have been properly consulted upon before we signed our tenancy agreements this year.’

Shuman also claimed in the JCR meeting, ‘This decision was being made three years ago but no one was made aware.’

However, Dr Spensley told Cherwell that the fund was always considered temporary by both the JCR and SCR. The JCR representative on the Grants and Bursaries Committee was consulted last Trinity term concerning the review of the system.

The student body has sent an open letter to the Senior Tutor expressing their belief that this review will mean unfair advantages for wealthier students.

‘Many people will be left in a situation where they cannot afford to revise in the place that would give them the best chance at success. Given the current focus on access, it is unacceptable that academic success will depend on personal financial situations.’

Students also drew comparison to other colleges, whose ability to finance vacation residence had drastically affected their position in the Norrington Table.

Rory Fazan, a finalist at LMH, said, ‘The college is very conscious of its modest showings in the Norrington Table and puts considerable pressure on students to do well.’

‘If league tables are so important to the SCR, they should be encouraging finalists to remain in Oxford for the Easter Vacation, not punishing those who want to study with massive rent charges.’

Merton, currently third in the table, offers students thirty days for vacation residence per year while St John’s, in fourth place, can offer twenty-one.

Dr Spensley will meet the student body on Friday to ‘explain the situation and hear the students’ concerns as we work on the proposal.’

On Monday the students refused to discuss back up plans with the JCR president and were adamant that they would oppose this review. Fazan explained, ‘We need to make sure the JCR Executive keeps pushing the SCR to revert to the old deal on vacation grants. If their first attempts fail, we will demand that they turn up the volume.’