Rugby League Blues 82-8 Glamorgan – Sam Whitehead

With Varsity only 2 weeks away, both the Blues and the Maroons went into the first round of the BUCS knockout competition looking to continue building the momentum that they’ll need if they’re to take down Cambridge at Twickenham Stoop on the 3rd of March.
The Blues focus for the match was to maintain shape and stick to the game plan, no matter what was put in front of them. Right from the first whistle, the home side put pressure on the visitors causing a turnover followed by a very early try. The pressure never let up and the Blues piled on 44 points to none in the first half alone.
With such a large half time differential it would have been easy to let off and start playing a less structured game, but the side showed great composure and kept the pressure on throughout. In attack Jon Dallimore showed some particularly nice touches, hitting some excellent lines, and captain for the match Josh Halstead led from the front as usual leaving Glamorgan defenders in his wake. The defensive line was solid and the match saw its fair share of booming tackles. Right to the final whistle, which came early due to the unfortunate injury of Robin Talbot who’d had an excellent game at hooker, the Blues played the way they set out to. In the end, up against a Glamorgan side who never gave up, they came away with an impressive 82-8 victory.
Coach Dan Garbutt said after the final whistle that, “credit has to be given to the Glamorgan boys – they never let their heads drop, and came at the Blues right to the end. Having said that our lads really showed some composure to keep it together and keep the tries coming. A few loopy offloads here and there are expected really with a scoreline like that, but overall I was happy with the way the game went.”

Football Premier Division

St Hugh’s 4-1 Christ Church – Tim Cary

Amidst the greatest relegation battle the city has ever seen, a story of personal triumph has emerged. Ross Who (of SHFC) has been under fire in recent years for his lack of production. Despite having the most thunderous right foot in the league he has failed time and again to hit the back of the net. Who has had to overcome some traumatising misses that almost made him retire from the game he loves so dearly. His all time low came last term when in acres of space he spooned a shot so badly he gave away a corner.
His big moment came today against Christchurch. SHFC’s German import Luis ‘Double’ Glaesing tied the opposing full back in knots. Upon hearing Who’s desperate cries for the chance to bury his critics Glaesing squared the ball. Who opened his body up and powered home the shot into the bottom corner. The celebrations were unrivalled in modern times. Who dropped to his knees and wept with joy, the travelling fan’s chanting could be heard for miles, Who’s time had come, the torment was over.
Who said of his captain “He has been a rock for me, a great mentor and a friend… I wouldn’t be where I am today were it not for his hard work and dedication, he has been an inspiration for us all.” Who continued to say that the goal was probably the most important in SHFC history, the team all nodded in agreement.
Rumours are circulating already that big time movie producer George Lucas wants to put this riveting story of personal struggle on the big screen. Who has requested that his role is to be played by Emile Heskey, a player who isn’t known for his acting abilty but can certainly relate to Who’s story. Arnold Schwarzenegger is hotly tipped to play the anchoring role of SHFC’s Big Timouthful BiCaryous’.

Football Reserves League 4

St Peter’s III 3-0 Hertford II – Patrick Reihill

This was a key game in Reserve League 4, as fourth took on third at a windswept Marston. Such was the importance of the game that ESPN had chosen to show it live, meaning the fixture was moved to a 2PM Sunday kick off – hardly ideal for the travelling fans, but that’s what modern day football is all about. These factors did not put a stop to the fans coming in their droves to watch a Peter’s team on the up.
Hertford had the better of the first half, with their muscle and extra drive in midfield edging out Richard Beinart, Adam Patrick and Nathan Turner. It became apparent as the half went on, however, that Hertford were vulnerable to the long ball, and Reihill urged his midfield to forget about the famous champagne football (it was proving ineffective in the gusty Marston conditions), and launch it forward for the front three. Needless to say, this tactical change paid off, as Peter’s took a 2 goal lead going into half time, with the midfield able to pick out Morgan Griffiths and Dan Stone (his goal being awarded after a meeting of the dubious goals committee on Monday morning) in quick succession.
Hertford will count themselves unlucky not to have been awarded a penalty after a Richard Gallon handball in the penalty area. Tom Pearman said that he had “seen them given,” but Hertford will need more than Pearman on their side, and, with Iain Lockey’s current form, it was no foregone conclusion that they would have scored the penalty – he has now gone 180 minutes of college football without conceding – a Reserves League 4 record.
All in all, Peter’s looked good value for the 3 points in the second half and there have been murmurings that their next game is a potential sell out. For now, however, promotion is firmly within reach – Peter’s have now leapfrogged Hertford and will be eager to cement their position in future games. The journey continues.