Wasteful Oxford keep winning

Oxford 1-0 Worcester

This past Wednesday saw the Blues waste chance after chance against a sub-standard Worcester outfit on Iffley Road. Recent journalistic accusations have stated that Oxford’s 4-4-2 leads to boring and unpenetrative football but against Worcester there was clearly nothing wrong with the formation: it was the profligacy of the Oxford players in front of goal which prevented this game becoming a rout.

With captain Elliot Thomas out injured, the Blues were forced to reshuffle their back four. Jason Adebisi slid over to centre half and the ever-present Leon Farr was asked to play at full back. Alec Ward, whose duties have been restricted this season, earned a full start alongside Ben Quigley in the centre of midfield.

The first fifteen minutes of the game produced the afternoon’s best football. Worcester started well but although they retained a decent amount of possession, they never threatened Dwayne Whylly in the Oxford goal. After this opening skirmish, however, Oxford instantly stamped their authority on the game. Ben Quigley had a sharp volley well parried by the Worcester ‘keeper and from the resulting corner Anthony Beddows headed well over. The game was played in Worcester’s half, at Oxford’s pace. The midfield kept possession well and Oxford began to increase the tempo of their attacks. Finally, Alec Ward collected a poor Worcester pass and duly skipped past two defenders before perfectly timing his ball to hit Zander Whitehurst in stride. The finish was that of a confident man. Whitehurst took one touch before gently rolling the ball underneath the ‘keeper, who was confusingly decked out in full Manchester City kit. From this point it appeared Oxford would repeat the performance of their last outing at Iffley, a 5-0 thrashing of Lincoln University.

Whitehurst followed his goal with a period of hard graft. His and Adam Healy’s constant pressure of the Worcester defenders stopped them from stringing any passes together and time after time Oxford collected possession in promising positions. The two strikers dropped off in turn to collect the ball in the hole between midfield and defence; clearly Oxford’s formation is not in fact the rigid 4-4-2 so traditional in the past.

Dwayne Whylly marshalled his defence to perfection the entire game and soon after the goal he launched an attack down the right wing with a quick throw. Farr and Rob Frost combined well and Adam Healy volleyed the cross sharply towards the roof of the net but his effort was tipped over spectacularly. Next, after Ezra Rubenstein was hacked down out wide, Jason Adebisi delivered a perfect ball which Adam Healy, on better form, surely would have converted. Healy had a gilt-edged chance to make up for his earlier misses but he thumped a free header against the crossbar and he was clearly frustrated by his uncharacteristic profligacy.

Slowly the game stagnated and, whereas before Oxford had controlled the tempo of the football, now they were dragged down to Worcester’s level. As half time approached the flow of the game was disrupted by bitty fouls and misplaced passes. Oxford were letting their opponents back into the game. Worcester broke down the left wing as Oxford committed men forward and were lucky to escape with a goal kick as the wide player crossed too strongly. However, although the midfield and attack were guilty of wasting possession, no criticism can be made of the back four who played admirably in their captain’s absence. A mark of this is Anthony Beddows’ aerial dominance: in the last two home games he has lost a header once. Just before the break Leon Farr had to hobble off and the Centaurs’ captain Rob Price came on and played the second half in defence.

However, despite the back four’s stellar play, the second half was again characterised by stagnant and boring football. Mickey Lewis, of Oxford United fame, was barking orders from the sideline and did not look best pleased with the efforts of his players.

Oxford’s main attacking threat for the second half was the set-piece. Any long throw or corner was greeted with the sight of Beddows and Price trundling into the box to make nuisances of themselves. Often they carved out half-chances for their more light-footed team mates but nothing clear cut ever presented itself. In an attempt to ignite Oxford’s tiring attackers, the journeyman, and deputising captain, marauded forward from left-back. The run came to nothing, but was probably the most enjoyable event of the second half.

Sam Donald and Casey O’Brien came on as the clock ran down but neither succeeded in stamping their authority on the game. In fact, Donald should have scored. An ill-advised clearance from Worcester’s ‘keeper fell into Alec Ward’s path. The midfielder fed Donald and with the goalkeeper still scrambling to get back the striker was caught between a drive and a chip and scooped his effort over the bar.

Although the game was poor, it shows the mark of a great side to win when playing poorly. Worcester were certainly better than Lincoln, they threatened occasionally but were constantly rebuffed by Oxford’s defenders. It is the Blues’ sixth win in a row, hardly occasion for a panicky change of formation. With Healy on more prolific form, the final score would have been very different.