Student census warning

Oxford University students have been warned that if they do not complete their census forms, Oxford City and County Councils could lose out on thousands of pounds worth of funding.

The census data is used to work out funding for services as diverse as education, transportation and health. 

According to the Q&A document produced for students, this “will ultimately benefit the living environment of all Oxford residents – which includes the student population.”

James Bennett, Home Bursar of St Catherine’s College and the Chair of the Domestic Bursars’ Committee said, “It is vitally important that students living in colleges (and in private rented accommodation) understand and participate in this process.

“The data collected in the census are used to underpin decision-making on the allocation of resources to local authorities.”

Mr Bennett also met with OUSU President David Barclay with a view to spreading information through JCRs and MCRs.

Barclay encouraged students to get behind the census, commenting, “This year’s census is more important than ever for students, because the data collected will be used to inform how resources are allocated to local Councils.

“At a time of massive cuts to their funding, its crucial that Government gets a true picture of the population of Oxford, and particularly its student population.”

The census takes place every ten years, meaning that the last census, in 2001,occurred when most current undergraduates would have still been of primary school age.

The 2001 census showed that over a quarter of the working resident population in Oxford were full-time students, which was the highest percentage in England and Wales, according to the Office for National Statistics.

Figures from December 2010 showed there were 21,535 students at Oxford University.
The nationwide date for the census is 27th March 2011. However, for students living in college or University communal accommodation in Oxford, the census will take data from those resident between 3rd and 7th March 2011 in order to avoid a clash with the Easter vacation.

The 2011 census campaign includes initiatives endorsed by the NUS, such as a photography competition to help raise awareness among students.