Oxford win the Truelove Bowl

Oxford reclaimed the Truelove in style with a convincing 6-3 victory over Cambridge at the Troxy in East London. Looking for their first victory in three years, the Dark Blues produced a performance which one alumnus described as ‘a technical master-class’.

First up was David Lee, Oxford’s featherweight from Corpus Christi, who showed plenty of energy and heart but was overcome by a raw yet powerful John Lacy. Faraz Sayed, the Oxford lightweight, was unable to even things up as he lost a majority decision to Nim Sukumar in a hard-fought and extremely close bout. With nerves starting to show in the Oxford crowd, Oliver Harriman of Hertford, with his unconventional southpaw style, sought to redress the balance. It did not take him long – 20 seconds, in fact – to brutally knock out his adversary Elliot Chambers with an overhand left. The Dark Blues sensed a comeback. As Harriman got Oxford off the mark, the crowd found its voice. The Cambridge boxer thankfully regained consciousness after several minutes of anxiety.

Fittingly, it was Oxford Captain Josh Fields of Pembroke College who evened the score, demonstrating his experience and class by winning a unanimous decision against a spirited James Phillips in the Welterweight division. With the Cambridge crowd beginning to fall silent, Andy Ormerod-Cloke, in his first ever bout, defeated the skilful Rich Simpson to give the Dark Blues a 3-2 lead before the interval. Oxford celebrated, but there was plenty of work to be done. Last year’s Varsity match – they led after five bouts only to lose 5-4 at the death – played on every boxer’s mind and Oxford were sure to maintain their focus after the break.

After a short interlude, Steffen Hoysemsvoll sought to extend his side’s lead further. However, against Chris Webb, the former Cambridge captain, Hoyemsvoll narrowly and somewhat controversially lost out in a split decision. Current Cambridge captain Ssegawa-Ssekintu Kiwanuka, looking to build on his victory at last year’s match, came out guns blazing against Alec Ward of Christchurch. However, Ward remained composed throughout and produced a technical master-class to put Oxford one win away from victory. Ben Morris of St. Hugh’s and Andrei Akhvleidani of Oriel, both extremely powerful boxers, provided two technical knockouts to seal a 6-3 Oxford victory which sent the Dark Blue crowd into a frenzy.

Fields, clearly overjoyed at the victory, said, “I am proud to have captained such an incredible team. We have trained so hard, and every performance this evening showed how prepared we were. I’d like to thank the coaches Des Brackett and Dave Mace for all their hard work this season, and, of course, all the boxers who have been magnificent throughout the year. The Truelove Bowl is back where it belongs.”