Oxford beat Cambridge in Varsity Football

The 127th Varsity Football Match was played on a beautiful Summer’s evening, with Oxford beating Cambridge 3-1 to win for the 51st time.

The past two matches between the sides have been rather cagey affairs with last year’s ending 1-1 and the 2009 game a close 1-0 to Oxford. However, the 1100 fans were hoping for a repeat of 2008’s epic, which ended 5-3 to Cambridge.

It was Cambridge who started brighter, playing some attractive passing football, and looking to get the ball wide early. However, it was Oxford who made the breakthrough, using Stoke-esque tactics to open the scoring through Alec Ward on 16 minutes. Rory Delap’s long throws might not melt the purists hearts, but good heavens it was effective yesterday. Adam Healy’s throw was flicked on by captain Thomas to Ward who coolly slotted the ball past Ferguson.

However, Cambridge did not let their heads drop, and Oxford’s lead only lasted six minutes. I would love it to have been a terrible, poorly placed, utter fluke of a goal, but in fact it featured some sublime build-up play followed by an unstoppable finish from Cambridge’s left winger, Griffiths, who troubled Jason Adebisi all night.

Cambridge continued to press, and were unlucky not to score, hitting the woodwork twice, and having two shots cleared off the line. It was Oxford who regained the lead though, Alec Ward popping up again in the 40th minute with a well-placed volley after another Delap throw.

The second half started in similar fashion to the first (the ball being kicked forward from the centre spot was the most striking similarity), with Cambridge pressing once more. However, what I can only assume was the result of an inspirational Leon Farr team talk, Oxford seemed far more composed on the ball, and looked far more organised without it. In fact, Cambridge did not create many chances, and it was Oxford who extended their lead, this time man-of the-match Anthony Beddows lashing in from a corner to make it 3-1 after 61 minutes. After this, Oxford seemed content to shut up shop, as Cambridge looked to throw everything including the kitchen sink at them in search of a way back.

Despite the woodwork again coming to the rescue twice, and some fine saves from Dwayne Whylly, Oxford looked reasonably comfortable in the closing stages. The noise when the final whistle blew reminded me of a whistle, and the cheer from the home fans and players undoubtedly reached into the decibels. A great game to watch, Oxford’s clinical finishing being the main difference between the two teams, and a fantastic way for Oxford to finish a strong season.