New coach for Blues rugby squad

James Wade has been appointed head coach of Oxford University rugby football club for the forthcoming season, replacing New Zealander Murray Henderson.

Wade has coaching experience with Sale Sharks and London Wasps, and will retain his position as high performance manager with the latter.

After a two week pre-season training period in Oxford, the first challenge will be a 13 night tour of Siberia in September. Wade commented, “I am very pleased to be joining such a prestigious squad, and I’m looking forward to getting to know the team on our Siberian adventure”.

Last season the Dark Blues beat Cambridge in style. However the side will be disappointed not to have won more of their regular season games, winning six of sixteen including the brilliant 21-10 victory at Twickenham. Upcoming opponents at Iffley Road in the lead up the 130th annual Varsity Match on December 8th include Wasps and Northampton.

Oxford are attempting to retain the cup for the first time since 2001. John-Henry Carter, OURFC captain, told Cherwell, “winning the second time is always very different and more challenging than the first”.

Knowing Wade from his playing days at Sale Sharks, Carter invited him to do some coaching over the summer in Oxford. The captain described the experiment as a success, with Wade being “an immediate hit with the players. This along with his experience and talent as a coach made the choice very easy”.