Street Pastors celebrate one year

The Oxford Street Pastors, an inter-denominational church group which aim to tackle urban problems have celebrated their one year anniversary.

The team, mostly members of local churches, try to engage “with people on the streets to care, listen and dialogue.” They are active in the town centre on Friday nights, helping drunken clubbers by handing out water, and giving flip flops to women who are struggling to walk in heels.

Though the Oxford group are only one year old, the Street Pastor scheme was started in London in January 2003, by Revered Les Isaac, Director of the Ascension Trust. They appear to have so far been effective, with drops in the level of crime where they act. The programme has expanded to over 100 groups across the UK.

Rob Winn, a Street Pastor, commented, “We work closely with the police, council, safety bus and other statutory organisations to make sure that people in the city centre at night are as safe as possible.”

“It’s great to be celebrating our first year of service; we have been pleased to consistently put out teams of volunteers each Friday night. Alongside our partners, we have helped to keep people safer, and we have given time to people who need someone to talk to.”

“There are many amusing stories of people having too much to drink and losing their, keys, phones, friends, oil paintings, and boats… [but also] sad stories where we’ve been there for people who were really struggling with work, family and relationships and we’ve been there to listen. Sometimes, we’ve been in the right place to diffuse confrontations or alert the police, sometimes we’ve found people in need of medical attention. My favourite part of being a street pastor is the variety of situations each time we’re out and the opportunity to be there for people.”

OUSU Health and Welfare Officer Laura Hancox championed the group, saying, “Clubbing does sometimes leave students in a vulnerable position, and I’m glad that this is increasingly being appreciated and that people are responding. I think the Street Pastors deserve thanks for the work that they’ve done over the past year.”

“They certainly make a positive contribution to the welfare of students, but they should not be seen as a substitute for the cooperation between students, police and the community that is necessary to further improve student safety.”

The Street Pastors argue that helping people in the city centre is a practical way to exercise their faith. Second year Theologian and member of the Christian Union, Andrew Hansford, commented, “Street Pastoring is certainly an excellent way in which people can demonstrate the love of God…it’s a fantastic expression of faith. Practically, the Street Pastors provide a somewhat unique service which is of value in guarding against injury, helping individuals stay safe, and hopefully reducing hangovers, while also being and emotional and spiritual support on the streets. They are of huge value to the community and reduce the burden on the Police.’