Old Man Bridge hits Balliol bop

On Saturday night, party animal ‘Old Man Bridge’ attended Balliol’s Valentine’s Bop after receiving an invitation from several students.

The self-proclaimed “enigmatic” man, who asked Cherwell to keep his true identity secret, stayed for just thirty minutes, but found time to appear on stage for a bop set. He described his attendance as “a social-only visit.”

He told Cherwell that he had received other invitations to bops at different colleges on the same night but chose to opt for Balliol’s event. He added that he was “honoured to have been invited,” though labelled the bop as “routine.”

Mr Bridge also stated that he was “pleasantly surprised to find less vom than usual” at the event, particularly as such is “a given” at most bops.

He stated that he attends bops “regularly but invariably briefly,” and that he has been to “many, many other bops,” although he would not reveal where he plans to visit next.

Speaking of his arrival at Balliol, he claimed that he has “come across worse welcomes” and that students were “nice to him,” later adding that he felt students had largely “reacted pleasantly” to his visit.

Students who attended the bop seem to be largely in agreement. Sarah Edwards stated, ‘You know it’s a big night when you see him out.”

First year Classicist Emily Troup seconded such a view, stating it was “great to have him there” as he “really created a buzz about the place.” She added, “That guy’s a legend, and a damn nifty dancer too.”

Eleanor Halls, a first year French student, said that he is a “deeply interesting character” and that his presence at nights out “highlights Oxford’s stance against ageism of any sort.” She added, “Old Man Bridge should be an example to us all: you’re never too old to party.”  

Sam Rabinowitz, Balliol’s JCR Dean, added, “When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea.”