Procrastination Destination: The Oxford Hub

With April showers persisting into May, punting and croquet can’t quite be relied on to provide distractions from the impending Finals, Prelims and essay crises. But procrastination is not as far away as you think, in fact it’s easily found at 16-17 Turl Street.

The Turl Street Kitchen, opened by the Oxford Hub not even a year ago, is something of a den. Its kitchens serve delicious, reasonably priced food, all of which is ethically produced and locally sourced, a comfort to your greener concerns. As a bonus, it also closely resembles your granny’s living room, complete with a roaring fire and scones. 

ith April showers persisting into May, punting and croquet can’t quite be relied on to provide distractions from the impending Finals, Prelims and essay crises. But procrastination is not as far away as you think, in fact it’s easily found at 16-17 Turl Street. 
The whole building is literally a hub of activity: the Hub runs regular film screenings, talks in the library and workshops on green-roofing on the terrace for the eco-friendly procrastinator. Not only is it a hang out for G&T drinking twenty-somethings, but it is somewhere where you can make a difference, and seek distraction from long hours of Rousseau in the Radcam. It is here that the Oxford Hub is rooted, the local branch of the national student charity set up five years ago, which aims to help students track down and get involved in causes they are passionate about. It is well established as the focal point of charitable activity in Oxford, a positive centre of ‘make tea not war’ (and undoubtedly a great CV booster to anyone looking to get involved).
If you take a more passive approach to charity there is still lots in store. The Hub is celebrating its 5th birthday this week, which means the TSK will be brimming. Starting with its Birthday Tea Party on Tuesday, the Hub has been running events all week, culminating in its House Party today. There will be live music from singer-songwriter Jake Morely, supported by local favourites Red and Other Colours, and Michael Teckman. On top of this a trio of comedians are performing: Chris Turner, Matt Richardson and Alex Clissold-Jones, all previous finalists in national comedy competitions. And because a party isn’t a party without food and drink the Hub is putting on quite a spread, accompanied by films and beanbags on the terrace. For £3. On Turl Street. Yes, you heard right.
For anyone looking to make a difference, thrash your friends in a game of Risk or even just an atmospheric place to hang out that is a halfway house between the library and the pub, you’ve found your retreat. It’s as much of a hustle and bustle as you make it, opens early, closes late and, by the way, does great scotch eggs.

The whole building is literally a hub of activity: the Hub runs regular film screenings, talks in the library and workshops on green-roofing on the terrace for the eco-friendly procrastinator. Not only is it a hang out for G&T drinking twenty-somethings, but it is somewhere where you can make a difference, and seek distraction from long hours of Rousseau in the Radcam.

It is here that the Oxford Hub is rooted, the local branch of the national student charity set up five years ago, which aims to help students track down and get involved in causes they are passionate about. It is well established as the focal point of charitable activity in Oxford, a positive centre of ‘make tea not war’ (and undoubtedly a great CV booster to anyone looking to get involved).

If you take a more passive approach to charity there is still lots in store. The Hub is celebrating its 5th birthday this week, which means the TSK will be brimming. Starting with its Birthday Tea Party on Tuesday, the Hub has been running events all week, culminating in its House Party today. There will be live music from singer-songwriter Jake Morely, supported by local favourites Red and Other Colours, and Michael Teckman.

On top of this a trio of comedians are performing: Chris Turner, Matt Richardson and Alex Clissold-Jones, all previous finalists in national comedy competitions. And because a party isn’t a party without food and drink the Hub is putting on quite a spread, accompanied by films and beanbags on the terrace. For £3. On Turl Street. Yes, you heard right.