Making a splash

Having trouble finding the perfect swimwear this summer? There are many painful things to say about the experience of buying a swimsuit. The first thing to know is that there are very few perfect bodies out there, not all of us are Victoria secret models. So I say let’s do something radical to declare the love for our bodies and when we next go to the beach or pool, they will be dressed at their best.

One-piece suits are in fashion at the moment so many would raise the question: one-piece or two-piece?

There are some fantastic specimens around the shops at the moment. Some are slashed all over the place which makes it impossible to sunbathe in without getting patches of suntan whereas some covers too much or too little. It makes people think ‘who would actually wear something like that?’

In reality, there is plenty of choice from brands like topshop, seafolly, asos, stella McCartney and so on. Some of the sexiest women seen on the beach wear one-piece suits because they are not revealing everything. Most of the one piece suits reveal more back and less tummy and some more cleavage or thighs. Show off your best assets and conceal the others.

If you are an active swimmer, definitely get a one-piece. One that is comfortable with stretchy fabric and creep up your backside and doesn’t cut into your shoulders. Forget bikini straps, you don’t want anything to come undone while you are doing laps off a crowed beach.

Different body types affect the choice of swimsuit. Here are a few tips.

If you’re petite…

1. Tops with a touch of padding, or an under wire, demi-bra style that makes the most of a beautiful, dainty, bust line.
  2. Adjustable straps at shoulders and around back so that you can tighten and adjust things, to help fill out the top line.
  3. Try swimsuits from Brazil as Brazilian women are generally smaller on top and their swimsuits are cut accordingly.
  4. Play up your figure by finding a suit that is cut high on the thigh. This will make your leg look much longer. This is even better for those with curvy hips as it will accentuate your smaller waist and give you a flirty look.
  5. Vertical stripes can visually lengthen the body or wear a solid bottom bikini with a printed top. This will draw the eye upward and give you a longer look.
  6. A solid, one-piece suit with a plunging neckline creates a continual, long appearance
  7. Avoid boy shorts and skirted bikinis as they draw the eye downward and can make you look shorter.You are very lucky that you have the body to wear those cute, ruffled tops that are so hot right now, so go for it. Bandeau tops would also suit your body well. Avoid tops with too much fabric or have a poor fit. In this case, opt a two-piece suit so you can choose your top and bottom separately.

For the bustier bodytype,

1. underwire tops can work well and look great.
  2. Halter-top bikinis can be a good choice by offering support, while providing some sexy cleavage
  3. Look for styles that are banded around the midriff and can be tied in back and around the neck. This style will give you some lift and will allow you to make adjustments for a personal fit.
  4. One-piece swimsuits with some structure in the bust, such as soft foam cups or at least, a shelf bra are most suited. Straight cut bust styles such as a classic tank can look clean and sporty. Wide shoulder straps will also be much more comfortable than spaghetti straps.
  5. Best avoid strapless bandeau tops that offer minimal coverage. 

For the tall,

Clothes drape beautifully on you and your legs go on and on. But, you do need to make sure that you do not look out of proportion at the beach in your swimsuit.

1. Horizontal stripes will exenterate your upper body 
  2. Go wild with the embellishments at the hips and bust line. Rings, jewels, ties and bows are all good things for you.
  3. If you want a one-piece swimsuit, try a cut-out suits. It will break up your long torso, just like a bikini does.
  4. You’ll look smashing in those super bright colours
  5. Boy shorts are great for your slim hips.
  6. Avoid up and down stripes, high necklines and dark, solid colors.

Summers are short and it’s been awhile since you bared almost all so wear your perfect swim suit and flaunt what you’ve got.