Zoom in on…paparazzi photographers

How did you get into the industry?
I always wanted to be a photographer. I used to work in a portrait studio but it bored me so I just fell intothis and I love it now!

So would you recommend the job?
I would, a lot of people look down on it but they forget the celebs love the publicity – without it they wouldn’t have any promotion and they would be forgotten. But I would say it’s a hard industry to get into.

Is it very competitive?
I’m one of only three girls in the pap industry so it took a while to get the others to take me seriously at first.

Only three girls?
It’s very male-dominated! Now, they treat me like one of them though – everyone looks out for each other.

Sounds like a nice atmosphere to work in?
Well, you wait hours for celebrities to come out and the area can be filled with fans and paps so patience and position is key. When the celebrity comes out everyone’s on their own, it’s dog eat dog! There’s a lot of pushing and shoving so it’s a struggle to get a good shot, especially if they’re A-list or you know it will sell well.

How do you make a living from the photos?
I send them straight to my agency who do the selling for me. They take 40% but if it is a non-exclusive job it’s a race to send them to your agency as the first ones on the desk usually get picked.

What camera do you use?
I use a Nikon d700 with a 24-70mm lens for close up short and flash shots and a 70-200mm lens for when they’re far away but use longer lenses when I want to be discreet and you don’t want them to see you. What are the celebrities’ reaction to being photographed? Any enemies?
Not really! The TOWIE people text me if they want pictures – they’ll say “I’m going to this place today, come and take pictures!” But Ewan McGregor told me to leave him alone once even
though we were on long lens – not in his space at all.

What did he say?
He shouted “why are you taking my picture?”, and we said “but Ewan, you’re famous!” Then he drove off in a huff.

Despite run-ins with Ewan and other A-listers, Jaimie continues to enjoy her work in London, Essex and abroad.