Students hit out at HFL Move

The History Faculty Library (HFL) has been closed and its services relocated to the Lower Radcliffe Camera, following a decision made earlier this year, though plans to introduce lending in the Bodleian were shelved.

Last year students and academics expressed concern that the changes would lead to overcrowding of a library that was already host to Classics, Philosophy, English Literature and Theology. There was also widespread opposition to plans for the Bodleian to start lending.

Fellow in English at New College, Dr William Poole, commented on the pace of the changes, “Most of the ‘big’ decisions had already been made long before the sleepy dons shook their locks.” He added that many dons were worried about the culture of management, claiming that library users were not consulted beforehand, “One gets the feeling that large changes were agreed by small groups of people behind doors with little or no practical experience of what teaching and research actually means to real academics and students.”

Professor Gregory Hutchinson, who wrote his book, Greek to Latin: Frameworks and Contexts for Intertextuality, in the RadCam, observed the changes taking place over the summer. He wrote in the Oxford Magazine, “I reflected that I could never have got the book written in this transmogrified library.”

A University of Oxford spokesperson said, ‘The relocation of the History Faculty Library from the Old Indian Institute Building to the Old Bodleian Library and Radcliffe Camera had been planned for a time, and the move was subject to consultation with students, staff and researchers. It had been realised that the integration of the History Faculty Library services and collections into the Radcliffe Camera would make savings that could be reinvested in improved services and would improve access.

They continued, ‘The Bodleian Libraries can now have Sunday opening hours in the Radcliffe Camera and purchase new books, journals and electronic and digital resources by reassigning the funds spent on maintaining the separate premises of the History Faculty Library. This will lead to benefits for academics and students in the humanities, who will have easier access to the Bodleian’s most important historical collections and can visit history collections on Sundays.

‘These changes have not been driven by the Oxford Martin School. The Bodleian has been evolving and improving its service in line with its “Vision” published in 2006, where library consolidation and improved services were set out.’

An organised campaign by Classicists proved effective. “After vigorous representations from Classics senior members, on behalf of scholars, graduates and undergraduates, the Bodleian helpfully agreed to restore the volumes which had been removed to the Classics open shelves. Difficulties for other subjects remain, but the Bodleian is starting further consultation.”

OUSU has consistently supported the changes. Chris Gray, OUSU Vice President said, “Our predecessors accepted the HFL closure as it allowed for the Bodleian to open on Sundays. Longer opening hours have been the biggest demand of students for a long time. As a historian myself I still think this was the right decision, though as that decision was made before we came in to office our priority has been to ensure that the move happens in a way that is not detrimental to students.“

‘When the moves began it did become clear that some of the resulting changes which were made elsewhere, including the Classics rooms, were damaging to the experience of some users. Along with academics and students, OUSU raised these issues with the Bodleian and they were quickly and effectively addressed. If any further issues like this arise we urge students and student reps to bring them to our attention so that they too can be dealt with.”

The responses of History students have been varied. Phillip Bell, a 2nd year Historian at Exeter, said, “The Radcliffe Camera is a more useful resource because there are much longer opening hours. I think that there must be less reading space altogether now. To be honest, it is hard to find the books you need in either. I just use the college library or the Bodleian.”

Davina Pearce, another 2nd year Historian, said, “The Gladstone link is already busier and noisier than it was last year. The History Faculty was full in Trinity last year so I don’t know where they think people will go when they are revising. People take History books from the lower RadCam down into the Gladstone link and they take ages to get back up.”

One Historian urged a sense of perspective, commenting, “It’s had very little impact on my academic life, since my college library generally has the books I need anyway. It’s a bit of a shame not having a separate place to study but by no means the end of the world.”

RadCam users from other subject areas have not been too perturbed by the Historians’ arrival. Second Year English student Anna Ssemuyaba said, “The library is a bit busier, but I don’t really mind.”

Alexis Dale, a second year PPEist, put the problem down to psychology, “if people actually realised there was an upper camera and a Gladstone link, then it would be fine, but people just cram into the lower camera which is dark and dingy anyway.”

Ben Houghton, a History finalist, joked, “The sweat, the body odour, the sexual tension; it gets so busy I’m not sure if I’m in the Radcliffe Camera or in the club Camera!”