Private Schools ‘demonised’ by politicians

A leading independent school headmaster 
claims that independent schools are unfairly 
“demonised.”
In an article in the Telegraph on Saturday 
17th November, Dr. Christopher Ray, Chairman of the Headmasters’ and Headmistresses’ 
Conference (HMC), an association of mostly 
British, but also a number of international independent schools, argued that HMC schools 
“are the envy of the educational world, even 
though we are demonised by some at home.”
In a piece that covered some of the most high 
profile contemporary educational debates, Dr. 
Ray, who is also High Master of Manchester 
Grammar School, claimed that demand for independent schools is so intense as, under Tony 
Blair, state education had become “an abject 
mess, mess, mess.” 
As a result of independent schools’ “success”, 
including the fact that, “one in five of those attending Britain’s top 10 universities come from 
Headmasters’ and Headmistresses’ Conference 
(HMC) schools”, it is unsurprising, he argued, 
that 57% of parents “would send their children 
to an independent school if they had the financial means to do so.”
Some privately educated students do not 
agree with Dr Ray on the issue of independent schools being “demonised”. One student, 
who studied at Manchester Grammar School, 
claimed, “I wouldn’t say independent schools 
were demonised at all. But perhaps this is the 
perception people have, given that the media 
is fixated on discussing the ratio of people who 
get in the best of the Russell Group unis.” 
He continued, “Less attention is paid to the 
excellent state schools, with more emphasis 
placed on the underperforming ones.”
Dr. Ray argued that one of the reasons HMC 
schools do not deserve their current image is 
due to the “excellent links” they have to state 
schools and the “opportunities they provide” 
for those from lesser financial backgrounds. 
One former Eton student supported such a 
view, saying, “The system isn’t perfect but most 
[independent] schools recognise this; providing outreach programs and bursaries to alleviate the image of privilege. As long as they exist 
they will be classed as agents to the detriment 
of social mobility, but through bursaries (Eton 
has about 50% people on them) prospective pupils can be presented opportunities academies 
would be hard pressed to match.”
An Oxford University spokesperson claimed, 
“Oxford University does not take the type or 
category of school that an applicant went to 
into account, whether state, independent or 
academy. Selection is based purely on academic ability and potential.”
However, the spokesperson added that Oxford does take contextual information into account in inviting ‘extra’ students to interview. 
“A ‘flagging’ system flags things like low school 
performance, deprived postcode, or being 
in care. If someone is flagged in several areas 
they will be invited to interview to allow them 
the extra opportunity to show their potential 
there (this only affects quite a small number of 
applicants). The flags play no part in the final 
d

A leading independent school headmaster claims that independent schools are unfairly “demonised.”

In an article in the Telegraph on Saturday 17th November, Dr. Christopher Ray, Chairman of the Headmasters’ and Headmistresses’ Conference (HMC), an association of mostly British, but also a number of international independent schools, argued that HMC schools “are the envy of the educational world, even though we are demonised by some at home.”

In a piece that covered some of the most high profile contemporary educational debates, Dr. Ray, who is also High Master of Manchester Grammar School, claimed that demand for independent schools is so intense as, under Tony Blair, state education had become “an abject mess, mess, mess.” As a result of independent schools’ “success”, including the fact that, “one in five of those attending Britain’s top 10 universities come from Headmasters’ and Headmistresses’ Conference (HMC) schools”, it is unsurprising, he argued, that 57% of parents “would send their children to an independent school if they had the financial means to do so.”

Some privately educated students do not agree with Dr Ray on the issue of independent schools being “demonised”. One student, who studied at Manchester Grammar School, claimed, “I wouldn’t say independent schools were demonised at all. But perhaps this is the perception people have, given that the media is fixated on discussing the ratio of people who get in the best of the Russell Group unis.” He continued, “Less attention is paid to the excellent state schools, with more emphasis placed on the underperforming ones.”

Dr. Ray argued that one of the reasons HMC schools do not deserve their current image is due to the “excellent links” they have to state schools and the “opportunities they provide” for those from lesser financial backgrounds. One former Eton student supported such a view, saying, “The system isn’t perfect but most [independent] schools recognise this; providing outreach programs and bursaries to alleviate the image of privilege. As long as they exist they will be classed as agents to the detriment of social mobility, but through bursaries (Eton has about 50% people on them) prospective pupils can be presented opportunities academies would be hard pressed to match.”

An Oxford University spokesperson claimed, “Oxford University does not take the type or category of school that an applicant went to into account, whether state, independent or academy. Selection is based purely on academic ability and potential.”

However, the spokesperson added that Oxford does take contextual information into account in inviting ‘extra’ students to interview. They contined, “A ‘flagging’ system flags things like low school performance, deprived postcode, or being in care. If someone is flagged in several areas they will be invited to interview to allow them the extra opportunity to show their potential there (this only affects quite a small number of applicants). The flags play no part in the final decision to make an offer.’