Break-in at Pembroke accommodation build

BUILDING of Pembroke’s Bridging Centuries project, which includes a new quad and new accommodation for the college, has caused extensive disruption and security problems for students. 

The JCR President, David White, said, “I can confirm that there were some security issues over the Winter break involving one of the cleaners employed through an agency by the contractor, Kingerlee Ltd. The cleaner was caught red-handed in the act of forcing open lockers in 22 student bedrooms together with two lockers in the kitchens and a storage room.” Kingerlee were unavailable for comment on Thursday. Losses were treated on a case-by-case basis and students were compensated appropriately for their losses. They did not turn out to be significant in the end.” 

In recognition of the increased security risk, extra security personnel have been employed by the college. 

The project is allegedly running three months behind schedule. The works have caused significant disruption for the students living in the New Build. White said, “Noise, dust, unfinished facilities and inconvenient access arrangements were the primary problems. The JCR appreciates College being sympathetic in providing adequate compensation to all affected students.” 

The college has agreed to compensate students living in the New Build 50 percent of their accommodation charge for Michaelmas term. As well as noise, the works blocked off access to the accommodation buildings, have made it harder for students to reach their rooms, and have interfered with the college’s wireless system. White confirmed that the Pembroke JCR and college authorities are currently in negotiation over an appropriate compensatory sum for those students who are affected this term by the works. 

White commented, “Although it has been a significant inconvenience to live on an incomplete site, the JCR is grateful for the continued cooperative efforts to minimise disruption. 

One Pembroke student said, “The disruption over the past few months has been serious and has definitely had an impact on residents’ lives. We are keen to work with college, who are equally frustrated by the delays, but we need to protect our right to decent standard accommodation.”