Oxford Seek Revenge in Varsity Football Match

Excitement is building for the 129th Varsity Football Match, which will be played on Saturday at Selhurst Park in London. After last year’s painful defeat on penalties, the Oxford Blues will be seeking to cap off a successful season with victory over the Tabs.

Though the sporting weekend will be dominated by coverage of the Boat Race, many sports fans still perceive it as an out-dated and confusing event. Instead, the Varsity Football Match – which is itself steeped in a rich history – offers what many regard as the greatest University sports fixture of the year.

The Varsity Football Match is one of the oldest regular football fixtures in the world, having been played every year since 1873, excluding breaks during the First and Second World Wars. The Match has traditionally been held at a neutral venue and was previously played at the old Wembley. Indeed, in 1965 Bobby Robson managed the Oxford team to a 3-1 victory at Wembley. From the previous 128 Varsity Matches, Oxford hold 50 victories to Cambridge’s 48.

Okay, history lesson over.

Oxford will be carrying some priceless confidence going into this year’s contest, having secured promotion back to the BUCS Midlands 1A League. Though the Blues recently lost 1-0 to Oxford City, Sam Donald’s team have been rampant this season, winning the BUCS Midlands 2A League with a haul of 24 points from 10 matches. To put the Blues’ dominance into perspective, the runners up in the league only managed to secure a mere 10 points.

Yet the varsity match will pose a completely different challenge for the Blues. Firstly, Cambridge will offer much stiffer opposition than Oxford’s previous league opponents. Cambridge have themselves won their own league – the BUCS Midlands 1A League to which Oxford have just been promoted – and will therefore enter the match with as much confidence as Oxford (if not more).

In many ways, however, the formbook is thrown up in the air as both sides will have to manage the hype and expectation that the Varsity Match brings. Oxford will be driven to avenge last year’s heart-breaking defeat, but must not let their emotions distract from any game plans. Though a number of returning Blues experienced the raucous crowds at the Pro-Edge Stadium last year, the magnitude of playing at Selhurst Park could easily overwhelm a number of players. Whichever team best handles the occasion will have one hand on the trophy. 

Victory for Oxford would ensure one of the most successful seasons in recent Blues history. But defeat could render their League title a somewhat hollow success. Though the outcome of the Varsity Match is uncertain, it promises a tense atmosphere and some excellent entertainment.

For those interested in attending the 129th Varsity Match at Selhurst Park, tickets are still available at http://www.cpfctickets.com/events.aspx. Kick-off is at 5.30pm and tickets are only £8 for students.