Lincoln bar to close on Saturdays

At this week’s meeting, Lincoln JCR President Arthur Wakeley explained to students that the move was intended to decrease the working hours of its manager Simon Faulkner.

According to an email sent to Lincoln JCR and MCR members, “From now on, Deep Hall won’t ordinarily be open on Saturday evenings – the exception to this is if there is a specific pre-arranged event”.

The move comes as Lincoln College plans to limit the selection of warm food available at Deep Hall, in an effort to curtail lunchtime queues and improve efficiency.

It is understood that most Lincoln students are happy with the changes. One student, who wished to remain anonymous, told Cherwell, “The decision to close Deep Hall on Saturday is very fair and understood to be so by all members of college as our bar was previously open for food and drink between 9:30 and 11 seven days a week”.

She continued, “We all understand that these were incredibly long hours and therefore are happy to sacrifice Saturday nights in order to give our bar manager a well deserved day off.”

Lincoln’s bar is known as the ‘Deep Hall’, and is considered by many Lincoln students to be one of the best college bars in Oxford. One student commented, “The atmosphere in Deep Hall is always welcoming and you can generally find people in there from both the MCR and JCR, whether having a morning coffee or an evening drink”.