Oxford is a pussy magnet in “Crufts for Cats”

Oxford will play host to one of the premier events of the feline world this weekend as competitors from the United States and Europe descend on the city for an event being described as ‘Crufts for Cats.’

Traditionally the preserve of dogs, the show is being organised by the International Cat Association with the help of local resident and cat-lover Jeanine Parfitt from Headington.

Hundreds of fans are expected to attend the event next Saturday and Sunday at Blackbird Leys Leisure Centre to watch displays by domestic and household cats, in addition to scheduled appearances by famous cats and a dazzling line-up of rare cat breeds.

Speaking to Cherwell, Ms Parfitt said, “This is going to be great for Oxford and I’m sure it will be a lot of fun as well. “I was overwhelmed by the interest this generated, especially after the event was posted on Facebook. There’s obviously a lot of demand for a unique cat breed show. Catowners can take part in events like the London Pet Show, but they rarely get a chance to compete and show off like this.”

She continued, “Up until now the focus has been on dog shows like Crufts, but there are nearly as many cats as dogs in the UK so I don’t see why they should get all the attention.”

Proving once and for all that Merton freshers aren’t the only pussy magnets in Oxford, stars of the feline world such as Miss Melly, an artistic munchkin cat who paints with paws, peterbald Principessa, the star of the London Pet Show, and cats from last year’s IKEA TV campaign will all appear for photographs between 10am and 5pm at the show next weekend.

Oxford-based vets have also been invited to promote cat and kitten welfare and there will also be trade stalls selling a wide array of feline goods.

One first year Hertford historian commented, “This is clearly one of the most important British events of the past decade, easily on par with the 2012 Olympics. I will be taking time out of my busy schedule to visit the show on both days, as will many other Oxford students if they appreciate like me what a unique and historic opportunity this is. 

“Competition for tickets will no doubt be fiercer than they were for last week’s Champion’s League Final. After all, who would pass up the opportunity to see this kind of ‘cattitude’ in person?”

It remains unclear whether any of the famous Oxford College Cats will be competing at the event this year. A full survey of the cats of Oxford University can be found in Richard Surman’s study entitled College Cats of Oxford and Cambridge (HarperCollins, 1994). A book described by one first-year Lincolnite as, “Proving beyond all doubt the fruitless banality of modern academic enquiry.”