St Anne’s JCR splashes out on airbag

St Anne’s College JCR has resolved to buy a 15m by 15m airbag for their quad, following the proposal of a motion at a JCR meeting last Sunday.

The motion noted that extreme sports are fun and that stairs take a long time to walk down. It also mentioned that members of the JCR have been tempted to jump from balconies overlooking the Wolfson quad. The airbag is therefore a measure in order to ensure the health and safety of JCR members and to prevent them from being “hindered” by the use of stairs.

The motion passed by five votes and mandates the JCR to purchase the airbag “emblazoned with the St. Anne’s crest” for €22,000, and place it on the quad beneath the Wolfson balconies. There was debate which included discussions of safety standards, the expansion of the programme to other buildings, the possibility of JCR sleepovers and the possibility of eliminating journeys upstairs through the use of a “rocket system”.

Oscar Boyd, the JCR President and original proposer of the motion said, “We proposed the motion because extreme sports are underrepresented at St Anne’s and this one simple bit of equipment will fix that. It will also save people time as they no longer have to walk down the stairs to get places, they can simply jump off their balconies. This is hopefully just the start of a multi-stage project, where every building will be equipped with an airbag, and going downstairs will become redundant. Obviously we’ll have to consult with college about the best way to implement the airbag.”