Queens College launches competition to conserve Florey Build

While viewed as a great example of modernist design, the building is in a state of disrepair and has many problems, including fallen tiles and a leaking courtyard facade.

Malcolm Reading, the independent consultants organising the competition, are seeking architects willing to undertake the multi-million pound project and help provide a long-term solutions to the buildings problems.

The competition will have two stages: the first stage requires teams of architects to express their interest in the building project. From there a shortlist of five to seven teams will be compiled. The winner will then be announced around February next year, with the aim of having the construction work completed by late 2016.

The plans for the grade-two listed building include a restoration of its current facilities and an improvement in the building’s energy efficiency, whilst still retaining the character of Sir James Stirling’s original design.

The winning team of architects will have to create new student accommodation on the site, so that it may house around one hundred undergraduates, rather than the current capacity for 78. They will also have to take account of the Florey Building’s riverside location: the original plans for a riverside walk were never completed.