Plans announced for a new John Lewis store

Shoppers from across the city have been very positive about how it could give the Westgate shopping centre a much needed facelift. Many shoppers commented on how they were looking forward to visiting the new 10,000 square foot John Lewis.

The proposals also aim to develop a new car park, and hopefully include some new independent shops. As well as this, there are plans to include a cinema, café and a rooftop terrace. At the same time, new homes would be built.

Colin Cook, the city council’s executive development member said, “A decision on the outline planning application is expected to be made early next year, with construction work potentially starting later in the year and the new centre opening by Christmas 2016.

“This is probably the fifth major plan for the redevelopment of the Westgate Centre since it was built and I look forward to examining the detailed proposals in due course.” This would be a two-stage process. After the initial planning application is approved, then a full one will be submitted.

Oxford students expressed differing opinions about the opening store. Many seem indifferent and are not disappointed that it will be opening after their graduation. A second year student from New College commented, “I don’t anticipate that it will add much more, we’ve already got exceptional choice.”

An Economics and Management student stated, “I am not particularly gutted I will have graduated by then. I never really have reason to go into John Lewis.”

Another student seemed more positive about the store, explaining “I am very happy and excited for John Lewis to be opening. It will bring much needed variety to the Westgate shopping centre and will serve as a nice addition to Primark. It is a shame it will be open after graduation.”