Rugby girls tackling financial problems

Thanks to Merton College, Oxford University Women’s Rugby Football Club now have a training pitch that sits safely above the water level. They’ve discarded their snorkels and are hard at work, with new coaches Matt Williams and Gary Morris, fighting to maintain their position in the Premiership South.

Now, however, they’ve hit a glitch. After their sponsorship deal fell through in late summer, they are in financial trouble. OURFC have lent OUWRFC the money to pay for floodlights to light the ground, and the girls have set their minds to inventive ways of raising the funds to pay them back.

With the tagline “#shoetheboys”, each time their Floodlight Fund reaches £500 one member of the Blues team will challenge their equivalent position in OURFC. The first challenge took place last week at Iffley Road, between scrumhalfs Jessie-Joy Flowers and Samson Egerton. Sam won (by default, and not without some serious pre-challenge nerves).

The next challenge, which takes place this week, will see winger Charlie Brown take on OURFC’s very own “Nigella” Sean Morris in a Ready Steady Cook style cook-off. Both competitors are confident, and Paddy Power are refusing to offer anything other than evens. Sean has been spotted strutting around OURFC rolling pin in hand. Meanwhile, Charlie was overheard quoting inspiration Harriet Van Horne, Vogue Magazine, Oct 15 1956: ‘Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all.’

Track the girls’ progress here: http://thefloodlightfund.wordpress.com/ or on Facebook and Twitter and tweet @OUWRFC with your ideas for challenges!