Women’s footy team pick-up vital away win

On 27th October, the U21’s travelled to Worcester. After two weeks of results in which the Blues came away feeling hard done by, yesterday saw the squad finally clench their first win of the season with an impressive 9-1 win over Worcester 2nds at home. The team kicked off with an explosive start, scoring their first goal just seconds after the whistle blew. Laura Jennings was the first to get one in the net with a silky pass past the goalie.

The Blues were not to settle yet however, as Keble fresher Sonia Curtis made an outstanding run down the left flank, still within the first five minutes, skinning the keeper and effortlessly placing the ball in the centre of the goal.

Next up was Becca May who hit what was the be the goal of the match. Tina Gough made a run down the left wing and found Becca at the edge of the box with a cross. Without hesitation, the new Blues right midfielder hit a half volley with her left foot which fired straight in to the top corner. The bench and new coach, Nathan King were left ecstatic. Less than tenminutes had passed and the Oxford team had three goals on the scoresheet. Another goal came soon after as Sonia Curtis hit a low cross in to the box which was found by Laura Jenning’s foot once more, to bring her goal tally up to two.

The week of training focused on shooting was looking as if it would pay off and Tina Gough was now looking to get one of her own. A few successive corners passed and Tina hit a cracking header which was just tipped over the post by the Worcester keeper. However, the St Hilda’s striker was soon to get what she deserved, as she scored a subliminal goal which shot in to the top left corner.

5-0 up after fifteen minutes and the Blues settled down a bit, retaining possession and working the passing triangles starting right from the centre backs. But soon enough Becca May couldn’t resist a cheeky pop at goal from twenty yards to add to her other goal and bring the score up one more for the Blues. Another goal from Laura Jennings gave her a hattrick before half time.

The second half was calmer, the Blues dropped the tempo a little bit and unfortunately this meant for the team that they wouldn’t be going home with a clean sheet today. A long dropping lob from Worcester’s centre midfielder sailed over Oxford’s Chloe Coates and in to the Blues’ own net. Typically, Becca May came straight back from this with a tap in from a cross to bring back the seven goal lead against the Worcester side. Although the half was much steadier, new OUWAFC player Katharine Nutman, after doing a lot of the play making all match, finally found her chance for glory and finished the win off at 9-1 with a beautiful left footed shot from twenty five yards.

Following this win and with a free week next week, the Oxford team have the next couple of weeks of training to focus on set pieces and tactics before our next fixture on the 13th November against Wolverhampton 1sts away.

Captain’s Player of the Match: Becca May (in association with www.ouafc.com)