Cherwell’s cultural Christmas cracker

Beyond El Dorado: Power and Gold in Ancient Columbia – British Museum

The latest exhibition at the British Museum explores and explains the rich culture of the Columbians before the Spanish invasion in the sixteenth century. In Columbia, gold was not used for money; instead it had great symbolic meaning, and was thought to facilitate all kinds of social and spiritual transformations. The artworks are highly wrought as making such beautiful objects required vast amounts of skill. In my humble opinion, gold was the best gift the Three Kings gave Jesus. Frankincense and myrrh smell weird and are seriously overrated. If you have a similar love for the shiny stuff, this one is for you.

The Ocean at the End of the Lane – Neil Gaiman

It may not be our most optimistic offering but there’s something Christmassy in its mix of childlike fantasy and adult fear. This is a 21st century fairytale. Gaiman’s delicate prose is told from the view point of a child but sinister dread and darkness undercut the whole novel and mean that this is a book for adults and children alike; perfect for all of us who like to think of ourselves as both.

Art Turning Left – Tate Liverpool

If you feel like a bit more education, head to Liverpool. I like it when exhibitions aren’t just about the paintings in front of you, and when you get to find out how other aspects of culture influenced the production of art. This exhibition is a fantastic example of how it can be done successfully. It examines how left-wing values have informed the production of art since 1789. This is a thematic exhibition which spans a vast amount of history from art in the French Revolution through William Morris and the Guerrilla Girls to Goldin and Senneby. Don’t be put off by the similarity to an Oxford term, but you will learn a lot in a very short space of time.

The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P – Adelle Waldman

Waldman regales the love affairs of a young idealistic writer living in Brooklyn. Nathaniel spends many lonely years as a struggling artist with little romantic success. But when he finds himself with a lucrative book deal and a swathe of females giving him attention, what is he to do with them all? Treat them awfully, it appears. Waldman exposes the wonders and weaknesses in psyche of the intellectual male. For Oxford students, it hits close to home. Girls – it teaches you a lot. Boys – it reveals all your secrets.

The Luminaries – Eleanor Catton

There is one word for this book: big. There’s no doubt about it, it’s a lengthy monster and one which is currently sitting unopened on my bedside table. But it won this year’s Man Booker prize and everyone who has read it says it’s a masterpiece. It is the must-read of the season and will definitely fill up any spare hours you have to while away in front of the fire. Once I’ve spent the whole vacation reading it, you’ll get a review.